Self Igniting vs. Non Self Igniting Torch

: I am looking for a new torch. I have narrowed it down, I think to Crossfire (owned by man who worked for and designed the original Turbotorch) and Turbotorch but am open to other suggestions. I posted on this a few days ago, but did not ask whether you folks recommend the self-igniting or non-self-igniting versions. I am leery about buying a unit with a self-igniter for two reasons, 1) unless it has a lock, it is a safety hazard if one of my kids were ever to get close to it and 2) it is an extra mechanism to fail just when I need the torch! I know that some self-igniters have a button that fires the torch up and a button that kills the flame instantly which is nice for working is tight spaces, but one can do do that with the regulator also. I suppose it is personal preference, but am curious what you folks think the pros and cons are to this decision. Also, when not in use, do Propane/Mapp tanks need to be stored standing up or can they be kept in a tool bag lying down. Also, forr those of you that use non-self igniters, do you use cigarette lighter to light?

I don't really see any cons to self ignition. I would never buy a torch without self ignition. It is far safer. It doesn't encourage you to leave the torch on unnecessarily, which can be very dangerous as well as wasteful. If you have young kids, I would suggest that gas torches might be best kept out of their reach or locked away, self igniting or not.
As for the reliability issue, even if it does go wrong you'll just end up with a non-self igniting torch.
Christian.
Surefire makes anice torch and I wouldn't have anything but a self igniting one. Surefire's has a knob you turn to the on position before it can be depressed and a cleaning position should nozzle get plugged. I always remove the torch head from the tank when not in use.

Removing the torch head is a very good point. I once made the mistake of leaving the head on a propane tank for a long time. I don't recall how long that was, but I only occasionally need to use a torch. When I did get around to removing the head, the seal in the tank would not close tight and there I was with the tank spewing propane. I had to reassemble the torch and then take it outside to let the tank finish venting.
Charlie
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 03:20:36 GMT, "Michael Roback"

After years of fumbling with igniters and flints wearing down and trying to use a lighter when I couldn't find an igniter, I finnally picked up a self igniter on a whim. Wouldn't ever go back. Especially working on top of a 14 foot ladder... :)
Jeff
I was working on a job, helping install a boiler. The plumber who was working there had a B tank acetylene, with a hose and Pres-To-Lite torch. I offered him to let him use my Mapp torch, but he says he really loves that B-tank. He spends endless time looking for his sparker, though.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

Don't use bad language on a home repair group, brother.
Jesus loves you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

I've been a heating and AC professional for several years. Use a Mapp torch for silver soldering refrigeration copper together, and also for plumbing.
The self igniting ones are the rage for reliability. Take the torch off the tank, and keep the little white plastic cap where you can put it back on the tank.
I think you're studying the matter too much. Go to your tool supply house and spend $65 adn get the good Bernzo, and be done with it.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Turbotorch)
days
hazard
self-igniters
that
curious
not

Turbotorch)
days
hazard
self-igniters
that
curious
not
i prefer the non self igniting.most self igniting torches are place on a tip that does not swivel,and sometimes if you are soldering in a tight spot you need the tip to swivel.plus if you do find a self igniting torch that swivels the ignitor can get in the way if you need to solder behind a stud or some other tight spot.i do not find it that big of an inconvenience to have to keep a lighter or striker handy.just watch your thumb if you are using a lighter.lol

Turbotorch)
days
hazard
self-igniters
curious
Most of us have B tanks with turbo torch. I also have one of the handheld self-lighters. Mine can use green or yellow tanks (lp or mapp). If I have to crawl or something I like the small one obviously. The job kinda dictates what tool you want. Think about what is going to be most pratical for you.
I find myself useing the handheld even more than I should. I hate to carry my big heavy tank even though it gives such a hot torch.
I've been using the self igniting torch by Bernzo, and been very pleased with it. Use Mapp gas for silver soldering lines for AC/R copper. I always take the tank off the torch and put the little white cap back on the tank.
I do know someone who neglected to take the tank off his torch. Threw it into the back of his Ford Bronco. Well somehow he blew up his truck, got himself 2nd and worse burns, and spent some time in the hospital.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

Turbotorch)
days
hazard
self-igniters
that
curious
not
I can see how a disaster could happen with flammable gases. I was riding with a helper. We heard a hiss sound. i thought it was a vacuum line on my truck, so I pulled over to investigate. Damned if that guy hadn't left the B-tank turned on. Little guy was just fixing to light a cigarette...it could've been ugly.
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:13:20 -0500, "CBhvac"

Whew ! You're so right. Cigarette smoking is always ugly .