self flushing toilet question

without any pattern the toilet will flush. i think the flapper is letting a slow drain take place. is there a dye made that i can use to see if this is taking place, something that will not stain the porcelain.
tia
snipped-for-privacy@bda.net wrote:

Hi, You can drop a bowl cleaner tablet. It gives blue color.
snipped-for-privacy@bda.net wrote:

Any food dye is safe. The blue cleaner things are damaging to the mechanism so I suggest you not follow Tony's advice, although one is not likely to do any serious damage.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:49:40 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

My parents would never use the blue cleaner things, because they wouldn't be good for the dog.

Mark Lloyd

Flappers are cheap ... why not install another?
thanks for the response. the blue tablet i am aware of but the owner doesn't use them and i wanted something very temporary. food dye occurred to me but i wasn't sure if it would stain the porcelain. i have two extra flappers, i was trying to avoid changing it just to find out i need to replace everything under the lid. i think i replaced everything under the lid within the last 18 months, thought it should remain troublefree longer than it has. anyway, thanks all.
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 14:15:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@bda.net wrote:

The easiest thing to do is turn off the water supply to the toilet for 6-8 hours (overnight perhaps) and see how far down the water level will drop before it stops leaking. This will identify where the water is leaking out. -g