Self cleaning oven to hot?

We have a Whirlpool built in wall oven in a cabinet. The right side is exposed to the room and has a finished cabinet panel on that end. During a self cleaning, the cabinet side gets very, I mean VERY, HOT. I measured the temperature at 170 degrees F. on the surface with a thermistor. It seems a bit excessive. This is almost too hot to touch. Should I be concerned? Should I yell at Whirlpool? Thanks.
Art Todesco wrote:

That's far warmer than the self-cleaning (albeit self-standing) GE range here gets during cleaning. I'd wonder if maybe the installers didn't put in all the insulation on that side if it was open unit, maybe???

I never measured the temperature so I don't know. Contact Whirlpool and ask them. Not hot enough to start a fire, but hot enough to burn you on contact.
Art Todesco wrote:

I'd be concerned about the other side that isn't open to the air. Check the insides of the cabinet it's against to see how hot that side gets.

Find the installation instructions and check the amount of clearance and air flow needed around the oven. Whoever designed and istalled the kitchen cabinets (or added or changed the oven?) might not have noted those factors? For example; an acqaintance had a fridge which was sort of 'built in' (very enclosed close to a corner) and it sometimes overheated and cut out! Even our non self-cleaning and stand alone electrioc stove has a layer of insulation between oven wall and exterior metal panel of the stove.
Art Todesco wrote:

Stop messing up your oven and you won't have to clean it. There are ways to prevent messes. Aluminum foil for one.
--
LSMFT