Self-Clean Range Will Not Work

You're right, he was OK until "All stove elements are 120v, and wired so that in normal use the load is equalized from each 120v bus to neutral". There is only 120V (to ground) at any point, though.

Reply to
krw

I was able to find some stove top elements, which are 240 volt and some 120 volt. It could very well be that our old stove had 240 volt elements. I was only swapping like for like, so wasn't in need of substitution information.

Here are some 120V ones.

We also had a small rangette, which had 120V wiring and could be unplugged. And it had Calrod style elements as well. Only that received so little use, it didn't need maintenance. It also had limitations on what elements would run at full power (as the 120 wiring wouldn't allow you to do much more than boil one kettle). It could be, if you turned on two elements, they ran at half-power (maybe enough to keep something warm). The other (main) stove didn't have any usage restrictions. If making a Christmas dinner, virtually every heating element was turned on the thing :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Those sure don't look like a stovetop heating element, now do they? The issue was NOT whether 120V heating elements of any type exist. We all know they do. The question was whether there are any ovens or stove cooktop heating elements of that type. The picture shows straight heating elements that are about 800Watts.

Which of course is a lot different than a built-in self-cleaning oven. I'm not surprised to find 120V elements there, since it plugs into a 120V socket.

Reply to
trader4