Self-adhesive vinyl tile sub-floor

I have installed a new bathroom and want to floor it with self-adhesive vinyl tile. The floor is oak but messed up (the house was built in 1954 and had carpet at one one time and little "shimmies" put in instead of solid oak throughtout, etc., so no, it won't look good leaving it bare).

Do I need to put a sub-floor under it first, or should I just stain it first and then put the self-adhesive tile down, or...?

Thanks.

Reply to
Wes Stebbins

Couple things that are not clear -

You've put in the bathroom fixtures already ? What are you talking about staining ?

In my couple times doing peel/stick, the suckers stick best to a smooth surface, like painted concrete or wood.

Reply to
roger61611

No, the bathroom has been roughed in, drywalled, painted, and there is just a whirlpool in it now - no actual toilet, sink, etc. The plumber wants the floor in before he comes back and install the toilet, etc.

That is one of my questions - Do I install the vanity before or after tiling? Also, my bad - I meant to say "priming" not "staining." I bought a primer that alledgedly makes the tile stick better.

Also, do I need to install a sub-flooring first? I've read different opinions on it, and some also say use plywood (if so - what thickness) not particle board, etc.

Reply to
Wes Stebbins

Makes sense.

Usually I recommend vanity first with ceramic. However with the vinyl tiles you can install them first. If you ever upgrade to a cermaic or otherwise it's a simple chore to cut the tiles at the toe kick if you remove them for the new stuff. Or just install backerboard at that time over the whole works for a substrate.

Most lino guys I know install a 1/4-3/8" particle board underlayment.

Reply to
G Henslee

Never use particle board in a bathroom. Use 1/4 hardy board to get level surface. Tile the whole bathroom then install the vanity and toilet, no stupid cuts in cheap lino floor. Why on earth are you using that cheap junk??? Ceramic tile is not that expensive and looks like a million bucks compared to cheap ass paper junk. Even the new wood Alum. laminate floors would add a better look.

Reply to
EvoDawg

I know of nobody who washes down their bath floors with a fire hose or pressure washer. The chances of enough moisture getting through the flooring to damage the substrate is unlikely. There's no need for hardy (allthough it's a good idea) under vinyl flooring. I agree that self-stick vinyl squares are crap but even with hardi if moisture gets between the seams it won't matter what's there, the stuff will peel. Hardi is used primarily to provide density to a substrate. Now go talk to 5 pro vinyl/lino installers and see what they use, otherwise you're just poppin' off with what you think sounbds good.

Reply to
G Henslee

Ive seen to many kids splash water out of the tub and toilets leaking to know that particle board will not hold up. Besides it holds moisture not repels it. Once wet it turns to oatmeal and is worthless. And Black Mold loves it and once infected forget getting rid of it. Its time to tear it up and start over. My motto is if you had time to do it right the first time then why did you do it right the second time!!!!!!!!

Reply to
EvoDawg

Then Hardi it is!

Reply to