Self Adhering Window Film?

Page 1 of 2

One of our bathrooms has a double-pane garden window... Why, I don't know. Probably to get more light in the room. In any case, the seal is blown on the biggest vertical pane. Looks terrible - white streaks, foggy. Rather than replace the glass, I'd like to use that (vinyl/plastic?) self adhering film, similar to what they use for after market car window tinting. Maybe more similar to the stickers they use to keep you from walking into a sliding door. Obviously, I don't know what you call it, or I'd use the proper term for it. It preferably would have a random pattern, which would add a measure of privacy to the room, while still allowing some light to get through. The best example I can think of is what you see on the rear window of some pickups... commonly an American flag, an eagle, etc. The driver can see out, but you can't clearly see in, from the outside.
I've asked around, checked the big box stores, even a glass company, but all I get is blank looks. I guess this is rocket science, which is why I'm asking here.... The questions: What do you call it? Who makes it/where can you get it?
Thanks
uncle K wrote:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WF/3MWindowFilms/

Thanks for that. It seems they primarily concentrate on solid color films, which won't work. I emailed them to see if they have something that will work better.
Unc
uncle K wrote:

The stuff they put on rear truck windows with normally some type of wildlife scene. It has little holes in it. I would love to see if the holes would allow it to stretch enough to work on concave/convex windows? I've looked and looked and can't find it without some type of picture on it. I just want black or silver, no picture.

re: " I've looked and looked and can't find it without some type of picture on it. I just want black or silver, no picture. "
You've looked and looked but have you called and called?
I just made a single phone call to a random custom vinyl place that I found on the web and they said they could make one in black (but not silver).
They all start with white vinyl and then whatever image you want is painted on. There was something about them not be able to apply silver paint to the white vinyl.
I assume that if I could find a place with my first phone, you could find exactly what you are looking also.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

These days the internet is normally the first place to look for something you can't find in stores. Hmm, a vinyl place, I would have guessed a window tinting place! Thanks, I will once again pursue my search!

Home Depot sells rolls of adhesive window film in various patterns, from a simple frosting to a faux stain-glass Magnolia tree pattern.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10051&categoryID=501987&langId=-1&catalogId=10053
Consider this also:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LQA8o0PWL._SS500_.jpg
I used this spray on the lower pane of the window that's right next to my head when I'm sitting at the computer at home. Less distraction for me and a feeling of a little more privacy. Much, much cheaper than the window film also.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId051&categoryIDP1987&langId=-1&catalogId053
Consider this also:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LQA8o0PWL._SS500_.jpg
I used this spray on the lower pane of the window that's right next to my head when I'm sitting at the computer at home. Less distraction for me and a feeling of a little more privacy. Much, much cheaper than the window film also. ******************************************************
Interestingly, I asked at HD. They'd never heard of such a thing. Guess I asked the wrong robot. Someone once made a decorative "stained glass" hanging for me, with a brush on paint which wrinkles when it dries. That spray on product just might be the ticket, assuming it will obscure the streaky look between the panes. And your right, window film can get pretty pricey.
Privacy is a secondary matter... the window is well off the ground. Still, some perv could stand up on the street and peer through the trees, right into the shower, if that's what rocks their world.
Thanks,
Unc

If I recall correctly, the window film was in the same aisle as the blinds and shades but kind of in the middle of the floor in a standalone display.
The frosted spray was found with all the other spray paints.
Good luck!

Ive gone to HD, asked where something is, and have 5 people show me to 5 different areas and still havnt found it. One thing if the window gets sun, film can make glass overheat and crack.
ransley wrote:

ask in the place where they design new kitchens. it's usually very near that desk.

If that window is exposed to sunlight, putting window film on the inside pane will cause the glass to break. And yes, it is designed to be placed on the inside of the glass.

The OP already stated that the seal is blown. I therefore think the possibility of damage caused by overheating is negligible.

The OP already stated that the seal is blown. I therefore think the possibility of damage caused by overheating is negligible. ***************************************************
I'm having trouble imagining it breaking the glass. We have a place in the desert... there, I could imagine anything, but the window in question is in western WA. The window does get some direct sunlight for a couple of hours in the afternoon, but PNW sun just doesn't torch everything like in the desert. Maybe this has to do with it being double paned, as opposed to a single pane auto window? In any case, I'd take that chance, if film is the way I go. I wouldn't be losing much, since the window is screwed up anyway. OTOH, the spray on frosting might win out in the end. I'll check out both when I can.
BTW, 3M wrote back to me, saying they don't have anything that would work for this application.

Ahhhh.....3M and "Lumar" are the leading companies when it comes to window tint. You usually can't get answers like that over the phone or though email because half of those people have NO clue as to what products they carry.
If you wanna do it, just go to Home Depot...they sell it there. Even Walmart carries it or at least they used to. It's probably an off brand, but that is all you need. And it is called "window tint".
I've already warned you about the possibility of the glass breaking, but if you wanna do it anyway here are some tips to help you apply it.
First read the directions that come with the tint so you at least know what the basics are.
Measure the window. Take the window tint (*before* peeling it) and cut it on a flat clean hard surface about 1/4 " smaller than the glass, height and width. I use glass to cut it on, but something like a *clean* concrete garage floor will work.
After cutting it to size, soak the window with a spray bottle full of water and about 3 drops of dishwashing liquid. Then remove the clear piece of film from the tinted piece. A two person job for a novice. It will probably tell you in the directions how to do this by using two pieces of masking take on one corner. Then have you helper soak the sticky side of the tint. Place the tint on the glass. Center it. Using your squeegee which should come with the window tint (if not you need a small one) start in the middle and *very* slowly work the air bubbles out to the side. Don't stop until all of the water is gone. If you happen to have a plastic bondo scraper, you can wrap a paper towel around the end and use it to remove what ever small bubbles / water might be left. Just keep rotating the paper towel so that it is dry.

That doesn't matter.
A *very small* leak will cause the unit to fail, it might take yrs before it goes through enough temperature cycles for the window to start fogging up and get actual moisture inside of it. It is a gradual process.
Even then, it can still build up enough heat to break the glass.
I was in the glass business for 22 yrs, I know what I'm talking about.
Feel free to call any glass company and question them. Only an idiot or a dishonest person will tell you that the chance of the glass breaking is "negligible", and trust me, as in any other trade, they are plenty of them out there.
As a matter of fact, some of them will lie to you to try and get your business when the glass does break.
I once owned a very small glass company. I was contacted by a post office to tint their their double pane / insulated windows. I told them what might happen if I were to tint the windows. I gave them a fairly high price because I really didn't want to do the job because I knew the windows were going to break.
Well, despite my warnings, I was hired to do the job anyway. About 3 months later, they called me back and said they had cracks in some of their windows (we are talking store front glass here). So I ended up replacing all of their store front with new insulated "mirrored" glass.
Worked out for me.
Window appliques, window clings.

says...

Home Depot carries it in the window treament section. Where they sell blinds, etc.
--
Dennis

Do you know that that window now has lost a lot of it's insulation properties? It will mean a colder and hotter bathroom. That may or may not be an issue for you but if you have not, it is something to consider. It will also increase (a little) you heating and cooling cost.

Yes, it's not the most efficient window. It's the only one I didn't replace when I remodeled. I think there were 44 single pane, or blown double panes that did get replaced. Close enough. Regarding cooling, people in western WA don't have AC - no need for it. We're on the water, so we just open a few doors and windows and let the breeze do its job. This house was built in 1926 and remodeled a few times since. It's a mish mash, but I've tied it together pretty nicely, over the years. Heating two stories and a basement isn't cheap, but it's all relative. Firewood is abundant and cheap, taxes are reasonable, water (excellent water) is free, etc. Works for me.