Selecting Lawn Mower's

Page 2 of 2

As a veteran Honda owner, I also can attest to their rock solid reliability. Buying a used one is a great way to go.
nb

After owning a bunch of cheap mowers, I broke down and bought a Honda two years ago, when we moved into a new house. It's been well worth the $700. The cut is much better than the Crapsman I bought in '93, it is a *superior* mulcher (I've only had to bag once - this year I cut the long dead stuff), and other than changing the oil and feed it gas, have done nothing to it. It starts the first pull every time (important since the nanny state requires the kill switch).

I find that 4 magnets (somewhat exotic ones from the milspec world) stuck on the handle, are quite effective at holding that deadman switch in the run position. An 12" cable tie holds that toe guard on the back in the up position, so I can actually pull the mower backward more than six inches. The nanny state can bite me- I don't mow barefoot, there are no kids around, and I have been operating a mower over 40 years without injuring myself.
--
aem sends...

Never thought of a magnet on the dead-man. It would have to be some magnet, but it's an idea. Thanks.
Most people use a loop of rope. Slide the loop down the handle when it's time to turn the mower off. As the loop goes down the handle, the moving part can then lift up.
I'm still not sure what belongs to the lawn mower. At the moment, we're discussing the lawn mower's handle.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I don't know. I have a Deere with the Kawasaki engine. Starts on the first pull every time for years now.

Size does not matter, layout does. My first mower was self propelled and it was good for the long straight runs. It was terrible for the are around object where you had to maneuver more. If you have a lot of gardens, shrubs, etc. light is good. These days I don't much are either way as my grandson does the lawn now.
What belongs to the lawn mower?
The mower's deck? The mower's engine? The mower's rider? You have to tell us what belongs to the mower.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Lawn boy used to have 2 stroke engines that lasted nearly forever, I have one from 1986 thats great and another 2 stroke from 2004 thats needed a new electronic ignition and more. Then the motors were built by Outboard Marine and they were made to last just like a boat motor, now you get a B&S 4 stroke motor that wont last nearly as long , maybe 3-500 hours vs 2000 for the 2 stroke. Toro might also use the same motor. I also have a 07 Personal Pace mower but it clogges on wet grass bad and even new I could hear the main bearing knock under load, but I like the infinite speeds. Honda has one at HD for 400$ that has a 1-2000 hr motor. Kawasaki and commercial B&S motors on Cub Cadet will last like a honda. If I were to get a new one today it would be a 400$ Honda. My Toro Personal pace I almost junked yesterday I was so mad at its clogging while mulching, today I got some teflon spray from Gunk made for lawnmowers and mine has gotten a reprieve from death. Popular Mechanics magazine just did a review of many, including the toro Personal Pace and the more expensive honda and other Honda powered motors. For only 25$ more than the Toro you can get a long lasting honda motor.

The review I mentioned might be from CR not Popular Mechanics magazine.

First deteremine the size of mower you need. Then decide if you want a self-propelled or not. After that, the only difference is how you maintain it. If you take care of it (no matter what brand), it may out- last you. If you don't take care of it, it doesn't matter what brand you buy.
Hank

Be careful with the Toyota.
Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_QyFlbA8w