Selecting Lawn Mower's

Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ? Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower. Are they for specific size lawns ?

Reply to
desgnr

Toro could be overpriced. The cheapest will cut grass. My old MTD runs good but has a Briggs motor which are all good.

I have a Toro big wheel self propelled. It's a heavy piece of crap. I just use it for dethatching in the spring.

I prefer my Case riding mower.

Reply to
LSMFT

I've had bad experience with both. Neither are the mower they used to be

20 years ago.

I own a LawnBoy Silver series with a 6hp 2 cycle engine. Starts on the first pull even after setting all winter. I did however have to replace the carb. LawnBoy admits a defect but after the warranty expired.Cost me

50 bucks so no biggie.

I prefer my Deere LT 155.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

1989: Lawn-Boy's most formidable competitor, The Toro Company, acquired it from Outboard Marine Corporation.

Before that, Lawboys were bullit-proof. They were the most reliable machines in our rental business. I suspect now it's a crap shoot as to which is better.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Hi, I like Honda and Deere with Kawasaki engine.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Dump your money at the store and come home with a bright and shiney piece of plastic. Admire the quality.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Every mower is for a specific sized lawn. And each person decides how much work they want to do to keep up their lawn. One man uses a push mower, one uses a self propelled, and the other won't use anything but an overkill rider.

I have a 20" Honda which does good for my tiny lawn. I love the looks of a Husqvarna ZTR, and would even go through the extra work of planting 1,000 feet of sod to get one. ;-)

Self propelled lawnmowers and riders were NOT invented so one could finish the lawn quicker, then go take a nap. They were invented so one could have a bigger lawn. Fact.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for book

Steve B

What ever happened to the Power Product? You remember knotting a rope to start them? They were great 2 cycle mowers.

Reply to
LSMFT

Whatever you can find on Craigslist for free.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not a fact.

I have a longstanding policy of reducing my lawn size a bit every year by tearing out sections and replacing with something other than grass. I have a self propelled because I have many slopes to deal with.

Reply to
salty

The need for the self propelled (single speed or "Personal Pace") feature depends not only on the size of your lawn but also on the layout.

While you will certainly be less "tired" with a SP on *any* sized lawn (incrementally) you also need to determine if it's worth it.

On my front lawn, with its long straight mowing pattern, it's a good thing to have and worth the extra cost.

In my back yard, I don't use it because I'm mowing around curved gardens, benches, a fire pit, walkways, the shed, etc.

There's not enough straight runs to justify using it. I'm always backing up, turning, mowing in short in-out stabbing motions, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Toro bought out Lawn Boy. Not sure of current quality. Toro quality had slipped when I bought one many years ago so I went to Lawn Boy which was better. Last year when my Lawn Boy went kaput, I traded it in on a Honda.

What you need depends on size and slope of lot. I'd say, if flat and quarter acre or less, a push mower will be fine. Over an acre, you might want a rider.

Reply to
Frank

Popular Mechanics just did a self-powered mower shoot-out. Honda won, hands down. Unfortunately, it cost almost twice as much as the next closest mower, around $700. Yikes.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I don't know. I have a Deere with the Kawasaki engine. Starts on the first pull every time for years now.

Size does not matter, layout does. My first mower was self propelled and it was good for the long straight runs. It was terrible for the are around object where you had to maneuver more. If you have a lot of gardens, shrubs, etc. light is good. These days I don't much are either way as my grandson does the lawn now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mine is a Honda, 22 years old, still starts on the first pull, maybe second after sitting in the barn for 5 months during winter. Never had service other than oil changes and blade sharpening. I may have cost a lot at the start but it is saving me money now.

It replaced an old Sears "Eager-start" mower that was anything but eager to start, it could take 10 - 15 pulls to start, and once hot it would not start until it cooled down. Both were self propelled. I use a riding mower for the main part of the lawns, the walk behind is for edging.

Reply to
EXT

Yeah...but.... I'm no fan of paying extra for a name & I'm tighter than a frog's ass.[they're waterproof] But I bought a used Honda Harmony several years ago & I'll be going that way from now on. [If I ever need another mower. This one shows no signs of quitting.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

As a veteran Honda owner, I also can attest to their rock solid reliability. Buying a used one is a great way to go.

nb

Reply to
notbob

What belongs to the lawn mower?

The mower's deck? The mower's engine? The mower's rider? You have to tell us what belongs to the mower.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lawn boy used to have 2 stroke engines that lasted nearly forever, I have one from 1986 thats great and another 2 stroke from 2004 thats needed a new electronic ignition and more. Then the motors were built by Outboard Marine and they were made to last just like a boat motor, now you get a B&S 4 stroke motor that wont last nearly as long , maybe

3-500 hours vs 2000 for the 2 stroke. Toro might also use the same motor. I also have a 07 Personal Pace mower but it clogges on wet grass bad and even new I could hear the main bearing knock under load, but I like the infinite speeds. Honda has one at HD for 400$ that has a 1-2000 hr motor. Kawasaki and commercial B&S motors on Cub Cadet will last like a honda. If I were to get a new one today it would be a 400$ Honda. My Toro Personal pace I almost junked yesterday I was so mad at its clogging while mulching, today I got some teflon spray from Gunk made for lawnmowers and mine has gotten a reprieve from death. Popular Mechanics magazine just did a review of many, including the toro Personal Pace and the more expensive honda and other Honda powered motors. For only 25$ more than the Toro you can get a long lasting honda motor.
Reply to
ransley

The review I mentioned might be from CR not Popular Mechanics magazine.

Reply to
ransley