Selecting Lawn Mower's

Page 1 of 2

Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ? Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower. Are they for specific size lawns ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
desgnr wrote:

MTD runs good but has a Briggs motor which are all good.
I have a Toro big wheel self propelled. It's a heavy piece of crap. I just use it for dethatching in the spring.
I prefer my Case riding mower.
--
LSMFT

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:54:45 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

I've had bad experience with both. Neither are the mower they used to be 20 years ago.

I own a LawnBoy Silver series with a 6hp 2 cycle engine. Starts on the first pull even after setting all winter. I did however have to replace the carb. LawnBoy admits a defect but after the warranty expired.Cost me 50 bucks so no biggie.

I prefer my Deere LT 155.

1989: Lawn-Boy's most formidable competitor, The Toro Company, acquired it from Outboard Marine Corporation.
http://www.lawn-boy.com/about/history/index.html
Before that, Lawboys were bullit-proof. They were the most reliable machines in our rental business. I suspect now it's a crap shoot as to which is better.
nb
notbob wrote:

What ever happened to the Power Product? You remember knotting a rope to start them? They were great 2 cycle mowers.
--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
snipped-for-privacy@nothome.com says...
> 1989: Lawn-Boy's most formidable competitor, The Toro > Company, acquired it from Outboard Marine Corporation.
> http://www.lawn-boy.com/about/history/index.html
> Before that, Lawboys were bullit-proof. They were the > most reliable machines in our rental business. I > suspect now it's a crap shoot as to which is better.
Indeed. I just retired my 1979 Lawnboy 2-cycle, referred to fondly as the "Evinrude." Only lasted 30 years. :-)
The replacement is a Troy Built push mover from Lowe's Well it's just an MTD, but seems to be ok. Ssomehow I suspect I won't get 30 years of use from this one, but that's ok because I won't last 30 years either.
For average or smaller, relatively flat lawns, I think a push mower is the way to go. Mowers are pretty light these days, so it's not that much work to push them. Plus, all that self-propelled stuff is just nore stuff to break.

I wonder what a motor rebuild would cost, then get another 30.
ransley says...
>> Indeed. I just retired my 1979 Lawnboy 2-cycle, >> referred to fondly as the "Evinrude." Only lasted 30 >> years. :-)
> I wonder what a motor rebuild would cost, then get > another 30.
Well, I would have needed a new fuel tank, a new carburetor, a new air filter cover, a new back flap, and a new bag. But the proverbial camel's straw was when I couldn't snug up the spark plug anymore. I know that can be fixed, but the cost of everything I needed was gonna be more than buying a new mower, and I just decided not to chase it anymore.
Oh, and two new wheels. Well, it just seemed to be time to let it go.
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 04:00:42 -0700 (PDT), ransley

My Briggs powered big-wheel 24" mower is, IIRC, 33 years old now and still going stron - deck has been replaced with stainless steel, tubular frame still as good as new. 20" BMX wheels have been replaced, as have the smaller front wheels. 4HP horizontal shaft engine - carb's been rebuilt about 4 times (integral to tank)
On Apr 29, 8:59pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My 1973 3.5 briggs got maybe 4-500 hours then it had no power but no smoke, maybe its because thats just when unleded came in and the Briggs had the wrong valve seals. But my 86 Lawn Boy still has the compression and seems like nearly new, first pull start even on first spring firing last week.
desgnr wrote:

I like Honda and Deere with Kawasaki engine.
desgnr wrote:

Dump your money at the store and come home with a bright and shiney piece of plastic. Admire the quality.
Jon

Every mower is for a specific sized lawn. And each person decides how much work they want to do to keep up their lawn. One man uses a push mower, one uses a self propelled, and the other won't use anything but an overkill rider.
I have a 20" Honda which does good for my tiny lawn. I love the looks of a Husqvarna ZTR, and would even go through the extra work of planting 1,000 feet of sod to get one. ;-)
Self propelled lawnmowers and riders were NOT invented so one could finish the lawn quicker, then go take a nap. They were invented so one could have a bigger lawn. Fact.
Steve
visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for book
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:10:58 -0700, "Steve B"

Not a fact.
I have a longstanding policy of reducing my lawn size a bit every year by tearing out sections and replacing with something other than grass. I have a self propelled because I have many slopes to deal with.
desgnr wrote:

Whatever you can find on Craigslist for free.

The need for the self propelled (single speed or "Personal Pace") feature depends not only on the size of your lawn but also on the layout.
While you will certainly be less "tired" with a SP on *any* sized lawn (incrementally) you also need to determine if it's worth it.
On my front lawn, with its long straight mowing pattern, it's a good thing to have and worth the extra cost.
In my back yard, I don't use it because I'm mowing around curved gardens, benches, a fire pit, walkways, the shed, etc.
There's not enough straight runs to justify using it. I'm always backing up, turning, mowing in short in-out stabbing motions, etc.
On 4/28/2010 9:33 AM, desgnr wrote:

slipped when I bought one many years ago so I went to Lawn Boy which was better. Last year when my Lawn Boy went kaput, I traded it in on a Honda.
What you need depends on size and slope of lot. I'd say, if flat and quarter acre or less, a push mower will be fine. Over an acre, you might want a rider.

Popular Mechanics just did a self-powered mower shoot-out. Honda won, hands down. Unfortunately, it cost almost twice as much as the next closest mower, around $700. Yikes.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/lawn-garden/4349693
nb

Mine is a Honda, 22 years old, still starts on the first pull, maybe second after sitting in the barn for 5 months during winter. Never had service other than oil changes and blade sharpening. I may have cost a lot at the start but it is saving me money now.
It replaced an old Sears "Eager-start" mower that was anything but eager to start, it could take 10 - 15 pulls to start, and once hot it would not start until it cooled down. Both were self propelled. I use a riding mower for the main part of the lawns, the walk behind is for edging.

Yeah...but.... I'm no fan of paying extra for a name & I'm tighter than a frog's ass.[they're waterproof] But I bought a used Honda Harmony several years ago & I'll be going that way from now on. [If I ever need another mower. This one shows no signs of quitting.]

Jim