Seeking round toilet bowl for Flushometer

I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink. Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick out very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few have tanks on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall tank is solely for an antique effect.

On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl with a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are the values you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl was the shortest I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called their contractor and it was so long ago he no longer remembers what make the bowl is.

I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.

Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Elongated bowl toilets are required by building code for commercial restrooms... It sounds like the toilet you have seen was installed long ago before that requirement came to be...

Most residential plumbing systems can not support toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when cycled open and close "hard" which could create a water-hammer effect...

It sounds as if your closet is too small to fit a properly equipped bathroom inside of it... Unless you are willing to get creative and consider a one-piece solution in the form of a combined sink/toilet unit of the type found in Japanese urban living units or inside of prisoner cells in correctional facilities...

Good luck...

Reply to
Evan

It was installed in 1995 or 1996. I wonder when that code change came?

I can run whatever pipe is needed. This would be a new installation and I have a direct run to the cellar, where I have to run the pipe anyhow to get water.

I was trying to get a toilet from The Netherlands. One with a wall tank and little wasted space behind the bowl. But I was not able to find anyone willing to ship one to the US.

I can fit a regular toilet, but it would be tight. I want to have as much space as possible between the toilet and sink.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Any reason why you can't use a plain-jane round front toilet and put a Sloan valve on it?

Reply to
dadiOH

You'd need 1.25 from the street.

That would be a pretty big water feed in a residence.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Your toilet from the Netherlands would cause you more trouble than not, you would have to prove to the plumbing inspector's satisfaction that said fixture complies with all applicable building and plumbing codes enforced in your area...

This is sounding like an open and shut case of what you want to do won't fit where you want to put it...

Reply to
Evan

That is what I have from the street. But then it gets reduced to 1" before the water meter, and remains 1" after the meter.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Yeah, it would, but watch him do it anyway without the proper sized main feed and post again baffled by all the odd noises which start happening in his other fixtures as suction occurs in the undersized lines...

Reply to
Evan

Don: According to your name you are a male. Be aware that short round toilets can be very uncomfortable for males to use. When sitting down you may find that your "equipment" contacts the porcelain surface which does not feel good and could also pick up bacteria resulting in an urinary infection. Think about it.

Reply to
EXT

LOL...

That means that you only have a 1" feed to your home...

The size pipe from the street is ok but the meter and the piping after it throttle the flow to less than you would need for the one proposed toilet...

Reply to
Evan

Despite my house having multiple toilets, one on each floor, I only use the one on the third floor. It is a standard round toilet. Just like what I'm seeking for the first floor (which is now located elsewhere on that floor and currently has a standard round bowl. I have never considered a round bowl to be a problem.

I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has become very negative.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Yea, I've noticed that too.

Far too many negative people around here.

Reply to
Home Guy

[..../] Irony
Reply to
krw

It's them dang foreigners and outer space aliens. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ask a silly ass question that clearly shows you shouldn't get involved in home repairs beyond changing the light bulbs in your table lamps and using a phone book or the internet to locate someone who knows what they are doing and you get the responses you get...

Simple as that...

Reply to
Evan

Shame isn't it?

Some people post here to share information and help others.

I can't explain what goes on with the others.

Reply to
Dan Espen

And yet another negative post!!

I got no useful information at all from this thread. But I was able to figure out the search terms to find what I wanted.

First, I figured out that toilet bowl for a flushometer is called a "spud toilet bowl" and adding round to that finds that they do exist. Here's one:

It is 24 5/8" deep. It requires 25 p.s.i. and 1" pipe. I can easily feed it

1" pipe from the water meter. I spoke with the neighbor that has a flushometer. They have never had any water hammer. Their only problem was when the city was working on the water main dirt came in the pipe and it clogged up the value and they had to have a plumber clean it out.

I then figured out the search term to use was "shortest projection toilet." And that found me a couple in the UK. Here's the shortest (22.8" deep):

But shipping from the UK is prohibitive.

I called Toto. Their shortest is 26 1/8" deep. I called American Standard. The woman that answered had no idea and told me to look at each one on their various websites. I left a voice mail for her supervisor. He called back with a 26 1/2" deep toilet that was their shortest. But I had also filled out their web form and asked. That came back with their shortest depth is 24 1/2". See:

It can be bought from Home Deport for $138 (no seat) and with free shipping:

Don.
(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

As an alternative, consider a lavatory from a retired aircraft. It's got everything you might want - including a "No Smoking" sign - and is designed to fit in a space the size of a shoe box.

Reply to
HeyBub