Seeking opinions on a Sears 42" lawn tractor

Much better deals near the end of summer, patience can save you money.

I don't think Sears cares when it comes to returns. Mine was bought right before summer and I'm in FL where some people cut their grass almost yr round.
Phisherman wrote:

I looked a little at the end of last summer- didn't see any killer deals. And I need/want it NOW. For some reason, my allergies are giving me a lot more trouble this year.
-- aem sends...
Ron wrote:

I'll look again, but I didn't see any used ones in their outside row. Mebbe on the other side of the building or something. It is a small store.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

I bought a used Sears 4'2 inch mower for $200.00 Changed the oil, sharpened the blades, put new belts, adjusted and greased it and it runs trouble free every year. Even put a bagger on it. I had to remove the deck brakes because they were jamming and preventing disengagement of the blades. I also bypassed that irritating seat switch.
--
LSMFT

I have one that sounds like a very similar model, purchased about 4-5 years ago. Got about 35 hours on it, and I have been very happy. It starts first time with no hassle. Plenty powerful enough. Excellent turning circle. I used to pull a roller behind it and it would mow and haul that thing with no problem. I changed out the attachment for mulching (hadn't realized when I purchased that this was an extra cost option, but not expensive). Foot pedal for reverse is very helpful. Cruise control function a waste of time, I never use it. At the time I was planning on a Deere - always prefer to go for the best brand for something that's going to be around a while - but the extra cost just didn't justify it in my view. And at this stage, I still think it was the right decision.
On Fri, 21 May 2010 07:48:31 -0700 (PDT), cubby

That's less than 10 hours/year. Not much mowing there to really make a reliability judgment.
wrote Re Re: Seeking opinions on a

Who makes the Sears lawn tractors nowadays?

Nonny wrote:

As best I can determine, this year, the red ones are Husqvarna, and the gray ones are MTD.
-- aem sends....

end, pretty basic but it performs great. Starts right up every time--even after the winter storage period (just run it out of gas and remove battery). Does everything it is supposed to. Would suggest that you get the mulch kit (blade etc) with it. Saves a lot of clean up time. MLD

Mine came with the munching plug and blades. I bought a catcher/bagger and the regular blades for it. Not only is the catcher a PITA to a to attach to the deck, but the tube clogs up to easily. I believe I used it 3 times and then it just sat in the garage. A wasted $200.
Ron wrote:

Put it on craigslist for $75, take $50!

A mower is a mower. They all have either a B&S, Kawasaki, Honda or Tecumseh engine. The engines are all good if you maintain them properly. The front axles are either stamped sheet metal or cast iron. The sheet metal ones suck. The decks in the 42" sizes are mostly sheet metal.
Personally, I would opt for a smaller zero turn. Maybe a Toro or something comparable if all you're going to do is mow. However, if you plan on using it to plow snow, a zero turn won't do it.
If you plan on staying at the house you're in now, don't fret over the cost. Get what you want and it will pay for itself over time, as long as you maintain it. If you are a person who lacks the ability to maintain a mower, you might as well go for the cheapest and buy a new one every few years.
I work on small engine equipment. Brand name don't usually matter as much as price. A john deere that costs $1200 is just as cheap as a Sears for $1200.
Hank
On Thu, 20 May 2010 20:25:27 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Go for it. Bought the identical model last year. Works fine for me. My guess is longevity is more a factor of fresh gas, fresh oil, and simple maintenance instead of brand names.
On Thu, 20 May 2010 20:25:27 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Hmm, are you good at taking things apart (and getting them back together again)? If so, see if you can find a couple of identical old mowers from Freecycle / Craigslist, and mix 'n match to make something good. Treat it to some new blades, belts too if needed.
That or buy some goats :-)
aemeijers:

Use the money toward hiring a lawn company.
If you really want a riding mower, buy a Toro/Wheelhorse, anything over $2500 (anything that costs less will be 'branded' but not made by Toro or John Deere). I've owned two Toros, then bought a John Deere and I've regretted it everytime I mow.