Seeking opinions on a Sears 42" lawn tractor

Page 1 of 2

Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.
I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding 3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge. Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this year.)
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

You might want to ask about the horsepower rating if that part is important to you. Some lawnmowers aren't what they claim to be. There was a class action lawsuit over it. My brother is one of those who gets a few $$ back because of it. This is the first link that popped up about it: http://tinyurl.com/29olzff

Sears does not have a good reputation these days. Go for a John Deere, you won't be sorry. But buy it from a real dealer not a big box store.

My neighbor has a John Deere that is a piece of cr--.

Hmmm. I'd say today every thing is crap!
On 5/20/2010 9:47 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I'm not your neighbor but I also have a John Deere that is junk after only 2 years of very light use (42 hours). Going to Wal-Mart and purchase a low end no-name mower.

I'll agree with this eval of the low quality of current JD consumer products -- when my JD 135 lawn tractor (gently used and garaged when not in use) was three years old the paint was peeling off the body in sheets. Now half of the body is down to bare metal. JD's answer was - "Tough, it's out of warranty.". Now the local dealer has stopped carrying JD, so if you buy one from Home Depot or Lowes there's no dealer around for repairs.

Have you searched for a dealer? There are 5 dealers within 30 miles of me. Closest is 19 miles.
wrote

There are two small-town dealers, each 31 miles away. The first full service dealer is over 50 miles each way.
wrote

That's where you go, then. duh!
On Thu, 20 May 2010 19:47:57 -0700, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

That's a "John Oh, Deere" :-)
EXT wrote:

Did I mention the 4-digit checks being painful? Deere's start at 1500 around here, for the manual-shift model.
--
aem sends...

On 5/20/2010 7:42 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

a 42" won't need more than about 10 real hp, so i'd say if they are calling it a 21hp, it's probably making 12 or so. It'll be fine.
--
Steve Barker
aemeijers wrote:

Here is a link with some reviews. I prefer the manual transmissions, this one has hydrostatic which most prefer. Check any gates you have to drive through to make sure it will clear. Riding mowers are riding mower and if you want a perfect cut well,... a riding mower is a riding mower and a lot depends on how smooth the yard is. Evidently you can mow while backing which I find very useful, many riding mowers you have to by-pass the safety to do that. Cup holders!!!!!! you might be able to use that if your yard is smooth enough. It's a one cylinder so it will vibrate more than a twin. Turning radius is very good for this type of mower. As for being on sale, Sears always has a sale going. I say go for it, and buy a six pack of beer so you can use the cup holder. Some reviews, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128922000P?keywordq-28922&sLevel=0#reviewsWrap
I don't like the entire Shears system. I used to work for that company. I'd reccomend a different brand, and maybe buy a used one from a place that repairs mowers.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I looked at the local 'real' mower place, and they had a 4-year-old low-hour 42" husqvarna for 1100. I was gonna go test drive it, until a buddy gave me a dope slap and said that was within $200 of a NEW 42" with similar specs, but a less fancy name. That is when I started wading through web sites, and learned current sears ARE husqvarna.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Consumer Reports best buys under $2000: John Deere LA 115 John Deere LA 105 Cub Cadet LTX 1040 13RX90AR Cub Cadet LTX 1045 13RX91AT Craftsman 28724 (discontinued) Similar 28914, 28924
CR didn't rate the model you are looking at.

Look for a John Deere with a Kawasaki engine. B & S don't last as long or run as well from my experience.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

See comment upstream about Deere being a lot more expensive. I only have 2/3 acre, and don't plan to start a lawn business.
--
aem sends...

Have you checked out the returned lawn eqt at Sears?
You might luck out and find a "used" mower for less than 1K.
I bought a $1200 mower from them a few yrs ago for $700.