seeking advise for shed project

or rental places have a powered concrete mover, or even a small trailer loaded with concrete.

concrete is nearly always the best floor and lasts forever.......

remember too wway too many regret not making their shed larger.........

never met a single person who complained I made it too big.........

consider larger, it costs just a little more and can be very useful

Reply to
bob haller

Depends, around here we pay pretty stiff school taxes charged according to property valuation. Small sheds that are not on a permanent foundation are exempt. Go a little bigger and you will find yourself paying an extra $300/year in taxes.

This is especially true after the last assessment where they were very aggressively trying to put a value on anything so they could tax it.

Reply to
George

I just figured that the gentleman wanted a nice heavy duty structure.

Didn't know that Maine was such a "taxing" state. :-)

I live in Pearland, Texas.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea77581

I built a 12x20 shed ten years ago and lived in it while I built my house.

I dug cinder blocks down to hard clay and leveled them with sand. The floor is PT 2x6 supported by the cinder blocks along the outside walls and down the centre, covered with 3/4" tongue and grove plywood.

It's standard 2x4 construction, insulated, with 8 ft walls and trusses for the roof, sheathed with 1/2" aspenite and vinyl siding. It has survived windstorms strong enough to break down trees next to it. It was insulated because it got too cold to stay in it when the temps dropped below -40 deg. (That is a minus)

Unless you are on a swamp there is no need for piles below the frost line with a building that size. It will move fairly evenly with the frost without any damage. My house is built on thirty three, twenty foot piles but that's another story.

I'm in a location where the frost goes down five or six feet. The shed is as solid as the day it was built and short of a tornado hit will likely outlast me.

I store all my junk including a garden tractor in it.

Why do you want it a foot above the ground? I purposely kept mine as low as I could to make it easier to move things in and out.

Bottom line, it's just a shed. Take a look at what the box stores call a shed then ask yourself how deep to dig the piles. :)

LdB

Reply to
LdB

I just figured that the gentleman wanted a nice heavy duty structure.

Didn't know that Maine was such a "taxing" state. :-)

I live in Pearland, Texas.

Andy

Maine is the NUMBER ONE TAXED STATE in the country...Also number one in STUPID NANNY laws....A state run by the moonbat libs....

Reply to
benick