See if you can put some political spin on this story...

For all I know, maybe he does walk to work every day but how can the claim of a 20 mile round trip be valid it the two localities are less than five miles apart?

Reply to
philo

What two localities? From what I see, he lives at Woodward Ave, Detroit. He works at Schain Mold, in Troy. By Google Maps, that's 19 -21 miles one way.

Reply to
trader_4

You are right, When I first read the article I thought he walked from Troy to Rochester Hills and upon re-reading it see that was the bus route...so I'll be darned...that part of the story adds up.

OTOH: It still does not add up because it also said he only gets a few hours of sleep and though the walk is a long one that still leaves almost half a day of "off time"

Reply to
philo

In the CBS story they gave more info. Not sure I have it exactly, but it went something like this. He works from 2PM until 10PM. He leaves the house at like 8AM, takes the bus, then walks. At night, because of a limited bus schedule, he has to walk a lot farther. I think they said he gets off the bus at 1AM, then has to walk. So, IDK exactly how much time is left, I agree it sounds like it should be a lot more than

2 hours though.
Reply to
trader_4

On 02/04/2015 09:43 AM, trader_4 wrote: X

The more I look at this the more I think my initial judgment was wrong...

could be a true story after all

Reply to
philo

He needs to move to the Right-tard paradise of Somalia where taxes are low and government regulations are lax.

Reply to
Davej

  1. walk to work = 5 hours at a brisk pace, 4 hours quite fast, 3 hours 40 minutes at double time
  2. work eight hours

  1. walk home, same as #1

At the best he would have around 8.5 ours free time; at the more realistic "brisk pace" he would have 6 hours. Presumably, he would use that to sleep.

Reply to
dadiOH

Why hasn't Obama issued EO, so they change the bus route, and take the guy?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Own or rent is cheap. Houses sell for under $20,000 in Detroit. Renters often pay $200 a month and if it's more, they get roommates.

If he can't afford a car, how about a bike. Seriously, how the hell did he not think of a bike?

Here's the final tip off to bullshit. The Smart Bus line runs up and down Woodward every day. Stops begin at the heart of downtown at the Renaissance Center/GM headquarters and extend northbound every several blocks. Specifically, bus line 475 begins at Woodward and Beaubien, which is right on the river behind the RC. IF he lives farther north, there are plenty of stops to wait. The 475 route extends northbound to Troy Civic Center P&R, which is 5 miles direct south of his employer. Smart buses allow bikes and in fact, have racks on the front of the buses to strap a bike in. Therefore, whether walking or riding, he can catch a bus along Woodward up to 5 miles from work. Even a taxi ride would be worth it.

What's more puzzling is why doesn't a co-worker help him and pick up at the Troy CC? Then take him back or somewhere along the bus route until the co-worker has to go his/her way after work?

It was mentioned the boss's wife cooks him dinner. Seriously? After ten years the only nice thing a boss can do is allow his wife to cook him dinner knowing he's "supposedly" walking to work every day?

The entire story has more holes than a colander and IMO, is pure bullshit. $250,000 raised for a guy who isn't bright enough to manage his own finances, purchase a bike or consider other employment when that money could be better used for much needier people.

People are gullible idiots.

Reply to
Meanie

Yah, the most incredulous part is that he can walk down the street after dark and not get mugged by one of Detroit's finest.

Reply to
Ben Dover

Here in my town, the buses even have carriers on the front for bicycles.

No matter how broke the guy is bikes can be picked up cheaply... even if occasionally someone would steal it, can you imagine how much the guy would have to spend for shoes if he really walked than much?

Reply to
philo

In ten feet of snow.

Reply to
Meanie

Reminds me of when I got home from 4 yrs in the service. Didn't have much $$, so I paid $15 for a trashed one speed 10-speed. Two weeks later, someone stole it. True story. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I paid $10 for a Hercules 6-speed (in the late '60's) at a garage sale...in a box, and every bearing in a glass jar. Got it all together...even zinc c hromate primed it and finished-off with Chevy Sunshine yellow. I used it to ride to the train in suburban Chicago (about a mile one-way). I left the g arage door open one night...

Reply to
bob_villa

This may appear twice (posted but didn't see)

My junker ten speed that I bought in 1972 was used year round, even in the snow.

Worked fine but looked so bad, no one stole it, even if left in known theft areas.

Reply to
philo

in a box, and every bearing in a glass jar. Got it all together...even zinc chromate primed it and finished-off with Chevy Sunshine yellow. I used it to ride to the train in suburban Chicago (about a mile one-way). I left the garage door open one night...

Sorry...it was a 5-spd racer, I also road it in winter and only spilled onc e. (Hercules were made by Raleigh in the UK, IMMS)

Reply to
bob_villa

I did the same thing for a cheap bike to leave at work. One night I taco'd the front wheel and bent the fork. I found a fork that would fit from the local free bike parts shop but couldn't find a caliper brake that would work. So there's this piece of crap with no front brake, which on a bicycle more or less means no brake, and someone stole it.

Reply to
rbowman

I had a rigid GT stolen. It was a good bike in its day but it used every weird Shimano gadget that was Shimano discontinued the next year. While I was pissed I figured the thief had done me a favor since it forced me into a suspension fork model. Since then I've studiously avoided anything with Shimano's latest brainstorm.

Reply to
rbowman

I bought a '64 Karmen Ghia convertible for $15. That was in the early

70's IIRC. Took $150 to rebuild the engine though.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

bob_villa