See if you can put some political spin on this story...

Page 2 of 2
notbob wrote:

I did the same thing for a cheap bike to leave at work. One night I taco'd the front wheel and bent the fork. I found a fork that would fit from the local free bike parts shop but couldn't find a caliper brake that would work. So there's this piece of crap with no front brake, which on a bicycle more or less means no brake, and someone stole it.
On 2/5/2015 10:47 AM, notbob wrote:

I bought a '64 Karmen Ghia convertible for $15. That was in the early 70's IIRC. Took $150 to rebuild the engine though.
On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:

It's the Obama enconomy. With rampant inflation, and stagnant wages, it's no wonder he can't afford a car. During the Reagan years, we had lower taxes, and the economy was moving.
His company ought to have a ride sharing board, maybe someone else in the factory works in his town, and can give him a ride in each day.
On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 7:53:03 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm having a tough time entirely believing this story. I can see someone doing this short term, but long term, it sure sounds fishy to me. No co-workers that can give him a ride? Nobody at some other nearby businesses? Surely the whole factory must know his plight. Curious also that there is no mention of a bicycle? You could cover 10 miles on a bike in an hour.
On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 05:28:14 -0800 (PST), trader_4

+1
On 2/3/2015 10:33 AM, CRNG wrote:

Dittos. See the guy has already raised $100,000 with his plight.

I had an acquaintance in Honolulu who went to and fro from his home in Kahala to his office downtown each day. It isn't as far - maybe 6 miles one way - but he ran it.
+1 on the bike
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:

I had a neighbor that did this. He had plenty of money but was an ardent environmentalist. He died a couple of years ago at 90 but even in his 80's was walking the 10 miles to the University of Delaware where he was an adjunct professor. Another neighbor, a plant manager, ran 16 miles to work 3 days a week. Guess I am not impressed.
On 02/02/2015 09:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:

I did a quick look at a map and the distance between Troy and Rochester Hills is four miles. A one hour walk.
Now, even if he did walk 20 miles a day, between his job and walking that would be 13 hours total.
The story says he only gets "a couple" hours of sleep each night.
Since the story is evidently a scam, I wonder if it's true that he's raised money. OTOH: I imagine there are plenty of people who would donate without first investigating.
A wealthy philanthropist here in town said that it's harder to give money away intelligently than it is to make it in the first place.

That is so VERY true!
On 02/03/2015 09:59 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

I probably mentioned that guy here before. I'd occasionally do work for him.
His fund gives away 18 million a year and when I went to his house saw that he still had a dial phone!
That was 20 years ago and he did finally upgrade to push button.
On 2/3/2015 8:52 AM, philo wrote:

It stated he walks Woodward to catch the bus. Buses run up and down Woodward continuously out to the suburbs. The Somerset bus stop is roughly 1.5 miles from Woodward, but I believe the bus travels to that stop.
From the bus stop at Somerset to his place of employment is roughly 6.5 miles.
Therefore, depending how far he walks to get on the bus, it's a far cry from 21 miles.

They are everywhere and very gullible. Look who's elected into office.
"Meanie" <

And it was uphill all the way both ways! ;>)}
On 2/3/2015 9:17 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

Maybe Oren is fucked up in the head.
bob_villa wrote:

He should ride a bike. I have a car and I was doing 10 miles to go to my job and 10 to come back. He could also add a small motor if he is too lazy. If he can not afford a car, he can not afford the insurance, immatriculation, the gas, the reparation, etc. He should continue to walk, he will be slimer than most american.
On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Political spin: Obama got rid of all the cheap cars with Cash for Clunkers.
On 02/03/2015 09:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Speaking of cars... During my entire working career I always had a company car or truck which I could use personally. Until I retired, the sum total I had spent on used cars...my entire life...was about $1000
About a year before I retired, I figured I better get a decent one... so spent $8000 on a good used car...that was a real awakening!
When I looked for cars there were plenty to be found under $1500.
Though they were in decent enough condition they were all gas hogs.
The car I have now was just filled for $16 or so and since I don't drive that much may only have to fill up every three weeks.
One nice thing about being 65 and having no moving violations on record. Car insurance is unbelievably cheap.
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 9:37:38 PM UTC-6, bob_villa wrote:

He needs to move to the Right-tard paradise of Somalia where taxes are low and government regulations are lax.
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 9:37:38 PM UTC-6, bob_villa wrote:

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/see-the-detroiter-with-21-mile-walking-commute-get-a-surprise-new-car-201755338.html