Sediment Filter

Hi,

I have a drilled well and about one year ago I had to have my pump replaced. After the new pump was installed I had to have a UV light with a sediment filter installed to get rid of bacteria. We could not get rid of the bacteria after shocking it several times - perhaps a torn lining or something when the new pump was installed.

Anyway, things were great at first and then very slowly over time we noticed a decrease in water pressure until about to two weeks ago it was so bad that after 30 mins of running water in the bathtub it was not even half full. So someone asked if we checked our sediment filter (this is all new to us and we hadn't even thought of that). Anyway, sure enough soon as we put a new one on everything was wonderful again. Well, after just 1 week our water pressure has gone almost as bad as it was before changing the filter.

We're not positive but we think that our pump is sitting about 40ft from the bottom of the well (the well is 320ft deep). Is 40ft enough from the bottom that it shouldn't be sucking up anything from the bottom of the well? Before we had the sediment filter installed a year ago, our water always looked really clear. Could the possible rip in the lining be causing sediment to "fall" into our well? Does anyone have any suggestions as to why all the sediment all of a sudden, and if this is just 'normal' do we have any other options besides changing this filter once a week?

Thanks

Reply to
tdgannon

I wonder if perhaps you are using too fine a filter. How many microns is it? I have two sediment filters back to back. I put a 20 micron cartridge in the first and a 5 micron cartridge in the second. I have to replace them every couple of months. ds

Reply to
DS

It is a 5 micron cartridge. So I guess I should replace it with a 20 micron. Do you know if a 20 micron cartridge is suitable for drinking (there would be no bacteria because of the UV light)?

Reply to
tdgannon