Security System *insurance* requirements - Specific?

What are the *specific* requirements from insurance companies for electronic home security/fire systems? (For the maximum discount - up to

20% off homeowners insurance I guess?)

The goal of my project is the least amount of protection for the maximum discount. I don't *really* need a security system as I live in a low crime rate area. Just exploring ways to save money on my insurance. I will of course ask my agent, but he tends to tell me about insurance options which cost more, not available discounts...

About all I can find on the internet is "U.L certified monitoring station" or "additional discount for fire protection".

So specifically, for maximum discount....

-Do all doors and windows require sensors or are just doors ok?

-Just one internal motion detector ok or are more required?

-Just one [connected to system] smoke detector ok, or are smoke detectors and heat sensors required in specific locations? (1800 sq. ft. two story 3 bedroom house with garage and 10 x 14 tool shed out back.)

-Local monitoring required or is 1-800 number located in another state ok? What is local so far as distance goes?

-Other alarm requirements which will get the largest discount off my insurance rates?

Reply to
Bill

For specific requirements for a specific insurance company you'd have to ask them.

His tendencies shouldn't matter. Ask him directly and ask to see the requirement information he's getting in writing.

RicodJour

Even if they install for free the monitoring fees, required by most insurance companies are going to eat every bit of the proposed savings.

If your home owners is a $1000.00 then 20% is $200.00 My last monitored system cost $19.99 plus tax a month. I do not think that you can get a installed system monitored for that. More like $35.00 a month.

I will bet your home owners insurance is less than an grand.

Reply to
SQLit

Each company has their own specific rules. Ask them for something in writing. (same rule they usually ask of you)

But if you go too cheap and have a problem, don't be too surprised if the adjuster disallows your claim and cancels the policy, claiming you misrepresented the security system. aka, insurance fraud.

All insurance companies are great at cashing the premium checks. But the good ones will be there when you need them.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Mine simply wanted a photocopy of the monitoring contract.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

"Even if they install for free the monitoring fees, required by most insurance companies are going to eat every bit of the proposed savings.

If your home owners is a $1000.00 then 20% is $200.00 My last monitored system cost $19.99 plus tax a month. I do not think that you can get a

installed system monitored for that. More like $35.00 a month.

I will bet your home owners insurance is less than an grand. "

I agree. An insurance company only gives about a 5% or so discount for an alarm system. With a typical policy of maybe $600 a year, it doesn't sound like it's worth it, even if you install an unmonitored system. And I'd check with the insurance company first, as they may require it to be monitored. I think I'm paying around $20 a month for my monitoring. Paying for monitoring, there is no way you'll ever come out ahead.

Reply to
trader4

Is there some reason you don't call an insurance company, or an agent, to ask this question? It seems to me, the best way to get an authoritative answer to any question about insurance coverage or requirements is to call and ask the company.

Reply to
Shawn Hirn

As I said, I *will* be asking my agent.

Actually I once worked for an alarm company. I heard from the customers "snippets" here and there about insurance company requirements for this, that, and the other thing.

There are all sorts of different levels of electronic security available. There are things like a U.L grade "A" system, A U.L. or non-U.L monitoring station, dial-up monitoring, direct-wire monitoring, and on and on. And certain businesses/homes seemed to be required to have certain levels of security.

Being as I was on the technical side of things, I never got much involved with insurance requirements, etc.

So just wondering if there was anything on the internet, which spelled out in general, what is required for insurance discounts and/or which additional levels of security would get additional insurance discounts. Guess not...

Reply to
Bill

Monitoring costs between $9-12 per month. The key is to not go with a proprietary system like ADT, which makes all the money from monitoring. Pay for a non-proprietary system, and then sign up with a UL listed monitoring company.

Reply to
SMS