security metal bars for winodws

Hi I want to put metal bars (vertically align)in front of my basement windows (from outside). I can not put it inside because it is old windows and it wo nt open if i put it inside. anyway i thought to put cement outside and then align these bar vertically to give some protection from animal or someone to break in.
from where i can buy them (i can use the one used in construction). I am no t sure if home depot sell them? do you have any idea please? i live in Toro nto, On. Thanks.

That's called rebar and I don't understand why you'd want to put something ugly in front of your windows. They sell more attractive window security grates.
Rebar is sold at HD, so are security grates.
--
Dan Espen

They MUST be easily removed in a emergency. So occupants can get out and firemen can get in....

So rebar is not only ugly, and not the right solution, but it's illegal too.
Makes sense.
--
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote:

Only if there are bedrooms in the basement. Basement windows have no requirements otherwise.

Okay. I don't know what the laws are where the OP lives, but the idea of being trapped in a basement with the house burning above me is enough for me.
--
Dan Espen

On 05/27/2013 05:18 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Security bars are *always* installed with a release mechanism that goes inside the house. When you need to exit through the window, you hit the catch, the security bars swing (or drop) open, and out you go.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

No, they are not.
Check, for example, the security bars on commercial establishments in your neighborhood. Very few (if any) are installed with a view toward being disabled.
Adding such a feature merely weakens the usefullness of the system.

The OP wanted them outside, so she could open the windows which probably tilt inward if her house is from the 1960's as she has indicated in her post about the sidewalk tree problem.
bob haller wrote:

In addition to the hopper type windows, what if you have a bilco door leading out?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
bob haller wrote:

In addition to the hopper type windows, what if you have a bilco door leading out?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

In some communities, no bars on the windows are a death trap.

Too funny!

Some communities don't even allow people guns to defend themselves. Can you imagine living in such a place?

With Haller, and insurance?

Stop it! You're killin' me!
Oren wrote:

If he electrified his burglar bars, he should have been subject to severe sanction!
Booby-traps have been outlawed since the signing of the Magna Carta in 1215. There are any number of people who can enter your property, legally, without your permission, or even your knowledge. These include (partial list):
* A peace officer with a valid search warrant * A fireman prosecuting a fire or virtually anyone else in exigent circumstances * A child who has no criminal capability * A civil tresspasser * One acting under wrong information or mistake
bob haller wrote:

In my jurisdiction, burglar bars must be openable from the inside only for bedrooms.
As for firemen, their equipment can chew through burglar bars like a hot knife through butter. Fire fighting is NOT a consideration when contemplating burglar bars.
Hi I want to put metal bars (vertically align)in front of my basement windows (from outside). I can not put it inside because it is old windows and it wont open if i put it inside. anyway i thought to put cement outside and then align these bar vertically to give some protection from animal or someone to break in.
from where i can buy them (i can use the one used in construction). I am not sure if home depot sell them? do you have any idea please? i live in Toronto, On. Thanks.
== You might stop by your local fire dept and see what they recommend.