Security lights, revisited

Page 1 of 2
A while back I posted asking for recommendations for security lights. I did that because the reflectors on my Heath-Zenith lights were badly rusted and I was thinking of replacing the lights rather than de-rust and paint. I also emailed H-Z asking if I could purchase just the reflectors.
Guess what...a box just arrived from H-Z with 16 brand new, free reflectors. No postage due either. They just zoomed to the top of my Good Guy list :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Vise-Grip provides free replacement springs and screws for the various sizes of Vise-Grips. My smallest Vise-Grip suffered from an encounter with the flame of a MAPP torch. When I asked about a replacement spring, they asked for my address.
John

What do you think the 16 reflectors would have cost you?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Quien sabe? If they were available at HD, maybe $3-6 each?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I was just curious as to how far up the "Good Guy" list they belonged. <g>
$10 worth of reflectors is a nice gesture, $100 is *really* nice.
On 4/5/2011 3:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Probably got them $1,000 worth of advertising...nice way to do biz.

Yeah, I just googled Heath Zenith ...

I didn't know they were still in business - Great news

I had a similar experience with Garant, the Canadian shovel maker (http://www.garant.com/index_en.php ). I had busted a fitting in my hose reel because I left it outside in the winter & it froze. I called them to buy a new part, but they just asked for my address and did not want any money even though leaving an undrained hose reel in the Yukon (or anywhre in Canada other than in the southern banana belts) in the witner is a surefire recipe for stuff breaking through freezing water.
Anyway they will continue to get all my business: I make it a point to buy their products even when the chinese crap is cheaper.
Luigi
Anyway they will continue to get all my business: I make it a point to buy their products even when the chinese crap is cheaper.
Luigi
I have Vise Grips pliers. I have about three dozen, maybe more. I use the 11R for clamping for welding. I will not buy any piece of Chinese crap vise grip type tools. The only thing that can go wrong with them unless you drive over them is the spring, and they will mail you those for free. There are some things I would buy that is Chinese crap, but some things, you want the real deal.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 14:40:30 -0700, "Steve B"

Even I who only do this stuff as a hobby and one of several and try not to spend much, and am usually happy with crap tools, have noticed how much better vice-grips are than their imitators. YOu can pound on them with a hammer and it does nothing to them. Their jaw teeth stay sharp.
The other thing I no longer buy junk is philips screwdrivers.
"mm" wrote:

------------------------------- That's why Sears & Roebuck exists.
Been using Craftsman screwdrivers for almost 50 years.
Watch for sales.
Lew
Might the Phillips actually be ponzi screw drivers or JIP screw drivers? <snip>

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 11:37:04 -0400, Michael Kenefick
No, I haven't gotten to such fancy stuff yet.
Someone tried to see me ponzi drivers but I could see that I would lose my savings if I bought in.
Anyhow the problem is that the edges break off in the middle, and then they are oonly good as awls after I sharpen that.

I bought a Gearwrench microdriver set awhile ago for work. Of course one of my co-workers dropped it and broke the case it came in. When I wrote them asking about the cost of a replacement (one of those web forms where you fill in name, address, etc.) I figured I would hear from them in a couple of days. I did hear from them by finding a box on my front porch 2 days later with a replacement case in it. I'll be looking at Gearwrench a little harder when I need something next time.
Allen
allen476 wrote:

It's been quite a few yrs ago now, but I bought one of those camping tables from Coleman, the one with folding legs and the wire extension rack off the side for a table top grill. The following year I saw the same table for sale with a carrying case, I called them asking if I could just buy the case, the CSR took my name and address and sent one to me. It's nice to know see there are still companies that know the meaning of customer service.
Weber grills, too- great customer service, they answer the phones, provide replacement parts, etc.

Had good luck with Price Pfister on valve bodies that leaked. A new one that was made of different material, and shipping paid, and it got there Priority Mail.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:37:07 -0700, "Steve B"

Then I have to mention Shop-Vac. STill made in Pennsylvania, great customer service.
On 4/5/2011 11:06 AM, dadiOH wrote:

So who did end up with the ownership of the name, when H-Z (the original company) went belly up? Or did the part of the company that made stuff like security lights keep the original name, and they just spun off all the other divisions?
I went to one of the auctions when they shut down the computer factory. Lots were too big for me to afford at the time, but it was still a highly interesting experience. Note that the factory was in St. Joseph, MI, not China, and you will have some idea how long ago that was. I think that division had been sold a couple times by then.
--
aem sends...