Security lights

I want to replace an outdoor security light for use at the driveway and front door. Just one unit is needed in my layout.

This will replace one that has a mind of its own. It may come own when the sun is still out though it is in a shaded location and it might not come on at night even if I drive in, get out of the car and walk to the front door.

The one I have uses an infrared sensor. I have been looking at the new ones and find that they don't tell what the sensor technology is. It seems that they tout "pulse count technology" A Google search didn't help as far as the technology being used.

At the risk of a bad pun, can anyone shed some light on the way these work and are there any reasonable alternatives to infrared?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I don't think it so much the infrared as the lack of a photocell in some of the units. I have a few with no photocell, and they behave as you say yours does. I've pulled them down and use them in my shop to keep me from killing my self when I go in there at night. They still suck, but in the shop, it really doesn't matter. Get a good premium motion sensor and it will do the job. I have one in my carport that is just great, it comes on at night and lights things up when I drive in or even let the dog out.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

The old one has a photocell. It used to work. Its eight years old now and is ready to be retired.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

All motion detectors have difficulty "seeing" motion when it is heading directly _toward_ the sensor. They are very sensitive to motion _across_ their field of view, however. This may be part of your problem. Replacing the sensor won't really fix this problem, motion detectors for alarm systems have the same problem.

Reply to
Bob M.

These things don't really last very long if they are out in the sun. It burns the photo sensors and they start losing sensitivity. In direct sun in Florida I can't get a year out of one. The "daylight" sensor stops seeing the sun and the motion sensor stops seeing the motion. In the shade they last a lot longer and in the house they last almost forever. I have over a dozen around the house, inside and out. All of them are Infra Red. The new ones just use a different algorithm to decide which variations of the signal are really a target motion. Thay all just look for a change in the IR signal. If you look at the lens you will see a pattern molded in it. They see a change when your "hot spot" crosses these dividers. That is why, walking straight towards it slowly will not trigger it until you get very close and your hot spot spreads to span a couple segments of the lens

Reply to
gfretwell

You could just replace the sensor itself. They're usually easily replaceable. A home center or good hardware store will have them.

RicodJour

Charlie go with a PREMIUM motion sensor light package. The cheapo's don't work well or for long- like you say they can have a mind all their own...

A good quality 2 head unit with adjustable sensor will run over 100$ but is well worth it.

Glenn

RicodJour wrote:

Reply to
galacon

Charlie go with a PREMIUM motion sensor light package. The cheapo's don't work well or for long- like you say they can have a mind all their own...

A good quality 2 head unit with adjustable sensor will run over 100$ but is well worth it.

Glenn

RicodJour wrote:

Reply to
galacon

8 years, not unusual. Many electronics are only designed for 10 years. NFPA recommends replacement of even smoke detectors every 10 years.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

I have one that I paid in the $10 range around 30 years ago. It is still ticking and is mounted on my South gable with no shade.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K