security light hookup

    I just purchased a motion security light that needs to be hooked up. Can I just hook a regular plug to it and plug it into a standard wall socket? Or should I get an electrician and have him wire to the panel box in garage? There is no current fixture at the location I want to use. There is, however, a wall receptacle just below it. Thanks.

It'll work either way. If you want to set it up as a sort of temporary light, stick a cord and plug on it. If you want a professional installation, have an electrician install a box in the wall for it

It's done all the time. If it is a weather exposed location (which it is not), BUT IF IT WERE TO BE WEATHER EXPOSED, it is best to hard wire it and protect it from shorting because of snow or rain. If the plug is switched, it makes it easier to turn the light on so it stays on. Turn the light on for about three seconds, then off, then on quickly, and it should stay on until you turn it off. It will be in that little paper thingy they give you.
Steve

Using the cheaper 'plug it in' method OK. But suggest use a three wire plug and three wire cord in order to safely ground the (metal?) motion sensor light fixture. While it will probably work with a two wire cord, if someone were standing on something adjusting the the fixture and/or its controls or replacing a bulb in a metal fixture and there was a fault there is a remote possibility of an electric shock or a fall due to being shocked unexpectedly! Also in interests of safety; if/when wiring up the plug make sure the 'hot' and 'neutral' wires are on the correct pins of the plug!
terry wrote:

guess there's no sense 'Mickey Mousin' it.