security light

can anyone tell me what amp fuse should be in the plug of a basic dawn to dusk type pir security light? TIA

Generally, you'd divide the wattage by the voltage of the lights, and round up to the nearest integer.
In the US, (where you probably aren't, since you're talking about fused plugs) a typical set up is two 75 watt floods, at 110V, so 2 amps.

Goedjn wrote:

oh dear! I am in UK. There may be 2 amp fuses but I haven't heard of them in common use. Think it must be different over here. The plugs are 13 amp and sometimes they have a 5 amp fuse and sometimes a 13 amp. Thanks for your reply though I think I might have to look in the uk groups??? :)

Use the smallest available fuse that exceeds the draw of the lamps. If the choice is 5 or 13, go with 5. (it is unlikely that a household security light would be eating more than 1100 watts.)
Minnie wrote:

If you are still looking for information try uk.d-i-y This group is primarily US and Canada. The wiring in the UK is different to a surprising degree.
-- bud--