Security lghting

I want to wire motion detectors to a 12 V. light string and place them at various locations around the entrances to 2 apartments. I would be using 2 or 3 detectors. Any one have a good experience with this or some advice?

I've never heard of 12v motion sensors.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote in

Maybe because they don't exist. I'm trying to use low voltage walkway lights hooked to 110 V. detectors.
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:16:51 -0000, lowspauld

Plenty of inexpesive motion detectors for house current are available, place them before the transformer to the 12v lights.
Jeff

I'm wondering about how the wiring of 2 or 3 sensors should connect to each other, to turn on the low voltage lights. Run the 110 thru all of them before the transformer (OK) and then wire them like a 3 or 4 way switch? Would they work if I just wired them up like a regular circut. Geuss I could start experimenting, just thought maybe someone had tried this before. Thanks

Oh in that case, either Toro or Malibu make a motion sensor for their kits.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote in wrote:

Thanks
L > I want to wire motion detectors to a 12 V. light string and place them at L > various locations around the entrances to 2 apartments. I would be using 2 L > or 3 detectors. Any one have a good experience with this or some advice?
As the others are indicating no 12v motion detectors exist would would need to do a bit of modifying. The initial voltage to the 12v lights is 120vAC (input to the power pack/transformer). The output of the motion detector is 120v, so connecting this to the input of the power pack should do the job of controlling the 12v lights for you.
An alternative you may wish to consider -- depends on the situation, of course -- is the type of motion detector we have here. Comes on at night and shuts off in the morning. When motion is detected (car pulls into the driveway, neighbor's cat does its wanderings) the lights go from 30% on to full on. I believe the maximum wattage of the unit is 150W per fixture. We find 75W to be more than sufficient.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* If life were logical, MEN would ride sidesaddle.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971