security door install problem

I tried to install a security door and ran into a problem.

This is a heavy door, and the screws that support are about 1/4" by 3 "

The screws go into the existing door jam at a right angle, not parallel, to the "face" of the house.

When I tried to put them in, all I encountered was open space behind the trim - not wood.

I'm wondering what kind of door frame set-up this might be and what I can do about it. The house is 2.5 years old.

Thanks

Reply to
BillC

SteveB

Not sure if I am understanding your terminology. You need to anchor about 1

1/2" out from the jamb to hit the double stud or the header. Fastening to the jamb will be ineffective because it may be thin, and have lots of air behind. Most security doors fasten to the stucco or siding on the house, and miss the jamb by at least 1 1/2". So, if you are looking at the door from the outside, the fasteners drill directly into the stucco or siding. They are not intended to mount to the jamb at all. Not enough "meat".

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Ok, I have a stucco house. I thought the door's metal outside frame was supposed to mount right over the wood of the existing door. You're saying that it should mount immediately outside the existing wood door frame - right?

I'm not sure the dimensions would work though.

Reply to
BillC