Security card latches

Page 2 of 2

Yup, the hotel type of system is quite inappropriate for a residence I think. The swipe card systems used in many office buildings are quite a bit more reliable but certainly not immune to problems.
In my experience, the keypad systems give the least trouble, in part because there's no keycard to loose or damage.
I once owned a condo in a complex of 100. The outer security system (card key swipe system) cost $40K and gave a lot of trouble. I think it was a bad system -- I've worked in offices where the cardkey access control worked just fine. Nevertheless, at the condo, the keypad on the garage entrance never failed to work, to the best of my recollection.
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:06:54 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Good point. My wife is a frequent business traveller, and this has happened to her many times. She usually uses a house phone to call the front desk and raises hell until they agree to send someone up with a new keycard.

the
swipe card systems are inferior to RFID based proximity systems. many high tech buildings use them in place of the swipe cards. they're recognizable by a rectangular or square surface, usually with a red LED that will flash green (accompanied by a beep perhaps) to acknowledge your card was picked up the antenna.
the systems do require a host computer and the associated installation expertise (UPS backup, etc recommended). if you really want to go all out, get a biometric scanner to grant/deny access.
of course, there's a point of diminishing returns. if i can just smash in your living room window, it's pointless to even consider anything beyond a simple deadbolt
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:09:39 -0500, "AntiSkidKidd"

Yes, and biometric sensors are not necessarily the top level of security. The lower cost models (measuring thumbprints, etc.) have been shown to be prone to fraudulent bypass with plastic/rubber models.
Keypads alone are OK, but you have to realize that if you have a large complex/multiple owners/tenants etc., it becomes too much of pain to periodically change the code. People will forget, go on vacation, complain that can't remember the new number etc. Also, after a while, anyone who knows the code can get in and you just don't know who knows the code. (The pizza delivery guy, the maid, her violent ex-con burglar/grand theft boyfirend?) ( A lot of European apartment access systems have this weakness).
Also, with all systems, who is going to buzz in the workmen, the elevator inspector, the meter reader, delivery people, the people that must be on the site to repair the common areas? An expensive human presence is usually required onsite to let people in or issue the security passes.
Beachcomber

I wish someone would invent something like this: A slim piece of metal with a wide part for fingers to grip. The slim part would have little peaks & valleys on one or both sides. You'd push it into a lock and turn it. Small enough to fit in a pocket.
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:42:00 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I think you're on to something. Now just make a small hole in the widest part so if you had more than one, you could collect them together with a metal loop. It would be great if duplicates could be made locally as well.

Hmm. How about creating overpriced objects, like hollow fake rocks, for hiding these metal things out in the garden, and selling them through snobby catalogs like Smith & Hawken?