securing wood 2 x 4 edging & paving stone

Does one have to anchor with steel pegs the pressure treated 2 x 4 edging which surrounds paving stones? If yes, how?

I was planning to carefully carve out the dirt and place the wood edging securely against the dirt. Will this hold the paving stones in place?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

Get some pieces of rebar about 2 feet long at a home center. Drill a hole in the edging that will fit the rebar snuggly and then drive it in with a sledge hammer. BTW, I'd use 4X4's, not 2X4's

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Would 4 x 4's be overkill? maybe not.... Do I drill through the top all the way through the 3 1/2" width of the 4 x 4?? or drill it at an angle?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

I don't think 4X4's are overkill and they will last longer. Drill the hole all the way thru from the top and drive in the rebar.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I've done it with 2x4s and 4x4s. Unless you expect a lot of pressure on the edging, or people are going to walk on the edging, 2x4s with rebar should be enough.

Reply to
fatman985

Do you drill all the way through the 3 1/2" width of the 2 x 4? Do you weld a washer on the top of each rebar piece so it doesn't pass through the 2 x

4?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

Depends on how you are going to orient them which dimension you drill through. You don't need a washer on top, just a snug hole. The friction around the hole will hold the rebar in place.

Reply to
Jim Sullivan