Securing heavy electrical cable

The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range has no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I guess the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables this large.

What should I be looking for?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Plastic plumbing strap and appropriately sized nails works pretty good. Also, hangers for 1/2" plastic pipe or conduit might work (especially the ones for CPVC cuz they should be about the right size)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Look for the appropriate sized service entrance cable (SER) staples.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

should be able to get the hammer in type of staples I would think. where its a plastic bar with a nail on each end.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

On 08/09/05 04:33 pm CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I thought those were only for flat cable, not for the round cable we have. The plastic staples I've seen aren't deep enough for our cable.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I found staples for round wires that large at Agway, a farm parts store. Perhaps same in your area. I moved such a cable in my basement; a feed to another panel - and the inspector just glanced and nodded as he walked along it, tracing it. He also had no comments on the nails inthe first ten feet, which I didn't have to move, but he inspected the bends quite carefully. I wouldn't use flat staples for a round wire - too many pressure point damage possibilties. Someone mentioned PVC hangars; I thought that was good, too, actually, if they really can be made to fit. I've used them for just about everything else .

HTH,

Pop

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message news:TF7Ke.2700$ snipped-for-privacy@fe05.lga...

Reply to
Pop

According to Percival P. Cassidy :

It's not kosher, but not that unusual I suppose.

Staples for wire this large are available, but you may have to go to a real electrical supplier for them.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Personally, I'd knock in a metal staple of whatever size I had handy above the cable and then attach the cable to the staple with a plastic wire tie.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Home Cheepo has plumbing hangers. Bought some today. Measure the diameter of the wire, go buy some clamps and some drywall screws or something.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are galvanized metal straps that take a nail in each end, go out side and look at the straps on your service entrance cable, they make small straps just like those buy at whole sale elect., or a hardware store.... ;-)

Reply to
pat