Securing heavy electrical cable

The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range has no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I guess the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.
What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables this large.
What should I be looking for?
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Plastic plumbing strap and appropriately sized nails works pretty good. Also, hangers for 1/2" plastic pipe or conduit might work (especially the ones for CPVC cuz they should be about the right size)
Bob
Home Cheepo has plumbing hangers. Bought some today. Measure the diameter of the wire, go buy some clamps and some drywall screws or something.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It's not kosher, but not that unusual I suppose.
Staples for wire this large are available, but you may have to go to a real electrical supplier for them.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

should be able to get the hammer in type of staples I would think. where its a plastic bar with a nail on each end.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
On 08/09/05 04:33 pm CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I thought those were only for flat cable, not for the round cable we have. The plastic staples I've seen aren't deep enough for our cable.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Look for the appropriate sized service entrance cable (SER) staples.
Bob

Personally, I'd knock in a metal staple of whatever size I had handy above the cable and then attach the cable to the staple with a plastic wire tie.
Steve.

side and look at the straps on your service entrance cable, they make small straps just like those buy at whole sale elect., or a hardware store.... ;-)

--
Using Opera\'s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail /