Securing a dumpster

Page 2 of 2
The money to rescue the fat woman comes out of my taxes. Taxes are paid by business, and by consumers.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Business" only pays taxes w/ monies collected from -- you guessed it -- consumers, either directly or indirectly...

Not technically. There are essentially three ways to pay taxes. One is through pricing as you noted. When pricing is less elastic, then it comes out of the pocket of either shareholder (reduced bottom line and thus reduced stock price and/or lower dividends) or through reduced spending (including wages, R&D, capital expenditures, etc.) which takes money out of the pockets of other people.

Call your trash company and ask them. Most trash companies run into this problem routinely, and have service options to address it, like a different style of dumpster, or possibly a lock THEY give you. They usually don't like customer locks, because then they have to keep track of a key. Comapny locks would likely all be keyed alike. They REALLY want to avoid any solutions that require driver to get out of the truck- that slows the route down.
aem sends...
Our trash company offers dumpsters (for an extra $10.00 per month) that have a locking device built in. We have to use a key to open it, but when the truck latches onto it to dump it, it trips something that flips back the security bar with the lock on it automatically. Our problem was neighborhood people putting trash, tires, cans of paint, etc. in our dumpster.

aemeijers wrote:

Agreed. The trash company has a MUCH greater invested interest in this problem than you.
Can you imagine the furor if they compacted some homeless granny lady?
On the other hand, perhaps this happens all the time and no one ever notices...
Call your trash hauler company. It's very possible they know what to do in matters like this. They may have a bunch of padlocks on the same key, so the truck operator can open all the dumpsters. Or, they may have some kind of noise dampening, so that the fat lady yelling doesn't bother your employees quite as much.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

What he said. Until resolved, how about locking 6 nights a week and rememmbering to leave it unlocked the night they come.
on 8/14/2007 9:40 PM johoman said the following:

Does this happen often, or is this the only time it happened? If the latter, don't do anything. If you suspect that this is the start of a new run of dumpster raiding, keep the area around the dumpster free of climbing materials.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

It could be happening every week and this is only the first time anybody noticed there's someone in the dumpster.

If, however, you're in California, I'm sure there's a regulation requiring an wheelchair ramp so that the handicapped homeless can have equal access to the dumpster's content.
Do you have a sign, in Braille, on the dumpster so that the vision impaired homeless can determine the dumpster's contents? Is the sign also in Spanish?
I won't even go into the flagrant abuse of the environment involved in "dumping" cardboard boxes instead of recycling (good) or facilitating re-use (better).

Flatten the boxes? Besides making them unusable, it saves dumpster space.
Better yet would be to bundle and recycle it. In my days of retail decades ago, I remember feeding and unloading box baler, it was worth saving them up for a periodic pickup of a whole semi load worth.
The idea of leaving decent ones of the size preferred by the homeless outside for them is a kindness that would be paid in heaven.