Securing 2x6 To Cinder Block?

Page 2 of 2
Per Don Y:

Haven't arrived at the final width yet. The restraining blocks are the width of the kayak - the ideal being to have it nestle in there and not have any room to wiggle back-and-forth in the wind.
Got to wait for the arrival of some beach wheels to see if I need for the 2x6's to extend out on at least one side to make flipping the hull upside-down on to the 2x6's easier.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 8/31/2015 7:09 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

But, it's still *temporary*? I.e., you don't want to pour a footing and make a permanent structure out of it?

So, no point in replacing 2x6's with 2x4's (to conserve on weight -- as in "portable")?
I.e., The kayak gets *stored* there? (you're not just *setting* it there while you resurface the underside, etc.)

What sort of weight is involved? Is there merit to leaning the kayak on its side (probably less chance of damage than "tipping it on its bow/stern") and *sliding* something under it; then, lowering the kayak down in place?
Per Don Y:

Correct: bring it down in early sprint, take it home when daylight savings time ends.

106#.... I've practiced rolling it sideways on the blocks and that's pretty easy. In fact, I think it might be exactly what you are suggesting with "leaning the kayak on it's side".
Just want to make sure it's still easy when it's on the beach wheels... In fact, I am hoping for it to be easier.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 8/31/2015 4:29 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Yes. I assume tipping it (while upside down) onto its bow would put too much strain on too small a part of the boat? Otherwise, you could hold/prop it up and "wheel" the support under it, then ease the stern down onto the "trailer" (for want of a better word)

Keep in mind that your own footing will be dubious in the sand. Big/bulky things tend to get a mind of their own (imagine it being windy!)
(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

I see it now... Any posted answer will most likely work.
--
Tekkie

Per Oren:

Heavy weather is my biggest reservation. I'm up *here* and the kayak is down *there*... 80+ miles away.
But I think that can be mitigated by choosing my season - check out the weather history and limit myself to months when storms are rare. Dunno what months those are yet.... but the data's out there.
OTOH, the owner of the windsurfing shop next to which this is going to happen owes me big-time because I set up and maintain the IP cams that people watch to see how things are on the bay.... so if I leave a key with him and he's actually open when a storm is on the way....
--
Pete Cresswell