Secure locksets

Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump- proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household use? Thanks in advance.
as long as I gotta buy some,might as well get the right ones. Tim

1. Mortice locks. 2. Bolts like grandpa trusted in.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Tim wrote:

Buy your locksets from a real locksmith. You'll pay about the same price you would at the big box store, and you'll develop a relationship with a guy who can come rescue you.
The locksmith will be happy to explain to you that the bumping thing has been known for years, and that its danger was exaggerated on the Internet.
Imagine that--something was exaggerated on the Internet. ;-)
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Yea but shortly after the last rekindled round about bumping on the Internet I started seeing (or just noticing) lockset pkgs with anti-bump advertised up front.
Red Green wrote:

Well of course you did. No lock company executive in his right mind is going to pass up the opportunity to exploit unfounded fears by gouging the wrongly-informed consumer. If he calmly and logically explained that bumping is all a bunch of shouting about nothing, how would he justify his gigantic annual bonus?
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

I'd wager not one residential burglar in 100 knows the technique. A high-value commercial target, with hard walls, in an area that offers privacy at night, might be worth fancy locks, but it is also probably worth an alarm system. A typical house is more likely to get robbed during the day, and it usually isn't through the front door anyway- it is through a sliding door or window around back, or through an unlocked garage. (Almost nobody bothers to lock the door between kitchen and garage.)
-- aem sends...
actually locking the house stops most burglars? Imagine that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks Steve, I guess that I assumed that a locksmith would be prohibitively expensive. Tim
Compared to having everything stolen out of your house? I can't see your house from here. But please call a couple locksmiths for estimates. And then look at your house, and make the decision.
Hmm. Locksmith versus having family members hurt, and being scared in your own home? Tough call.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Don't bother. "Locks don't stop thieves, they just keep honest people honest."
Tim wrote:

Window bumping is more common.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

There was a famous burglar in the DC suburbs about 20 years ago. He would knock on the door during the daytime, if no answer he would go around back and kick the door in. Most home construction will not withstand this kind of attack. If you are really worried get a home security system.

Good deadbolt will slow him down. A lot.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And a 12-gauge even more.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

FWIW, we had our door kicked in recently, and our house burglarized. They had a member of the team who was big enough to just break the (solid core) door in two. He was seen working at another house a few minutes later. The witness said he easily weighed 400 pounds. The door didn't stand a chance. And they got away (the witness got their license number, but it was a stolen car).
Just about the time people make an idiot proof deadbolt, someone designs a bigger idiot. That's a real shame.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Medeco is the brand that I have heard of that meets thse needs.
Tim wrote:

Search alt.locksmithing for bumping. There have been some threads on brands and things you can try for a conventional lock. Some "high security" locks are not bump proof.
I agree with whoever said 'hardening' the door and strike are more important.
--
bud--

Tim put up bumping on the net and you can read all about it. There used to be pictures of kids bumping euro locks on the net. You can buy sets of fifty keys to cover all types of euro locks then practice at home until you are good at it. There are two makes of euro lock that are sold as bump proof, however, as glass breaks so easily, why bother to spend 30 minutes opening a door when you can smash your way in, in seconds. Important point! If there is no sign of break in because your lock has been bumped! Then, your insurers can ague you left the door unlocked - and they don't pay out. Whats more, can you be sure you didn't leave the door unlocked? Perry