Secret password for hiring a plumber?

Page 6 of 6

Thanks for sharing -- got a good laugh :)

Plumbers have a right to make money and people have the right to give it to them. I on the other hand will do that stuff myself and use the saved money to buy fun things like vacations or put it away for retirement.
My father did everything himself and although he made much less than everyone in our neighborhood, we always had a nicer home and had everything we needed. When something broke at night or on the weekend he was able to fix it instead of suffering through until a repairman could come. If we had a flat tire, he'd change the tire, instead of spraying a can of fix a flat into it.
I guess there are two types of people. People that will spend money and people that won't. I grew up learning to save money and only hire people to do work that I can't do myself. I see more and more people out there who can't even replace a burnt out light bulb in their car or replace a bathroom faucet.
Oh well, do what you want. I hope you have a good time at the office while I am on vacation.
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:51:13 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
plumber?:

Yes. Avoid them if possible. They obviously don't want you business. Ask your neighbors for referrals to competent "handy man" type people. Alternatively, look in the classifieds. If you have to get a "stranger" start him with your smallest job first. See how that goes make a decision based on that.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

I can get my plumber in an hour if it is an emergency, but routine work is booked for months. He'll put us ahead of others at times but it can still be a few weeks. He won't even take calls from potential new customers.
I gave the electrician the "go-ahead" on a job two weeks ago and he just started today. Probably a three day job for him.
My HVAC guy took three weeks to quote a $7,000 job and it will be another few before he can get started And this is because he gives us some priority as we store his boat for the winter in one of our warehouses for free.
Good tradesmen are in demand and can make a good living. Anyone with the sills can have a good career with work for life. Ed
Try Rotor rooter

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:51:13 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Sometimes, yes, "these guys" do have so much work. It depends on the potential customer. Sometimes I'll get a call from someone who starts breaking my chops and conducting an inquisition before I have even seen the job. They'll demand a firm estimate over the phone to be followed up by the FREE written estimate, the scheduling of which is to be at their convenience regardless of my work schedule. Before I've even seen the job they demand chapter and verse about how the job will actually be done and what materials will be used. Anyone who is any good doesn't need that kind of customer. They have plenty of work. I just thank them for calling and tell them I'll get back to them when I can assure them of a firm appointment for an estimate. Then I just forget about them. Life's too short. Did I describe you?
MisterSkippy wrote:

Although you don't want these kinds of customers I can probably tell you that these types of customers probably don't want you either. You just said that you tell them you will call them back but then you just forget about them. That tells me that (1) you are a liar and (2) you don't have much respect for your customers.
The reason some customers make such demands is because there are a lot of contractors out there who show up, do crappy work, and then cash the pay check before the customer has time to figure out that the work that was done was sloppy and needs to be fixed. Then when they try to get the contractor to come back and fix it they get the runaround of "that's the way it is supposed to be" or "that's as good as I can get it based on what you have" or "you should have said something before I left the worksite".
The customer is the one PAYING to get the work done and they are the one who has to LIVE with the results. They have ever RIGHT to be demanding and picky. You can choose not to work for them but at least be man enough to tell them you don't want to instead of being a lowlife liar that leaves them hanging.

If you do all of your own work, how do you 'know' this stuff??
IME and IMNSHO as a homeowner, I've found contractors to be pretty good, even excellent. That's probably because I go through word-of-mouth when I can, and, even if not say for a small job, I can tell who is good and who isn't. And approach the whole thing as something of a partnership.
Maybe you have a problem dealing with people that prevents you from making these connections and observations.

See -you piss people off right and left.
Banty
Banty wrote:

Actually, my guess is that you are like many others who can't tell good work from bad work and that you get screwed over and don't know about it.

You missed the entire point you ignorant asshole. PLONK!
MisterSkippy wrote:

No, you did.