Secret password for hiring a plumber?

No, I was catching it from the STDIY'er (scared to do it yourself). I just finished installing a mini-split a/c unit. I thought I might be in over my head but aftering careful planning and research it went in easily and I saved at lease a thousand dollars. The money I saved will pay for it's electricity for a few years.

Reply to
User Example

Didn't you say you were bored with this conversation about 4 days ago? :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Can't a person change their mind?

Reply to
User Example

What you got was derision for your attitude, not for doing the work. Telling people they're idiots if they don't do something themselves, is, well, idiotic. You made up your own mind about the value of your time and your priorities, have the courtesy to let other people do the same.

Very good.

RicodJour

Although I did say that people who don;t do it themselves are idiots it was merely a typo. I meant to say I that I DON'T have a problem with people tha don't do it themselves. It is the people that tell them they CAN'T do it that I have a problem with.

Reply to
User Example

Sometimes, yes, "these guys" do have so much work. It depends on the potential customer. Sometimes I'll get a call from someone who starts breaking my chops and conducting an inquisition before I have even seen the job. They'll demand a firm estimate over the phone to be followed up by the FREE written estimate, the scheduling of which is to be at their convenience regardless of my work schedule. Before I've even seen the job they demand chapter and verse about how the job will actually be done and what materials will be used. Anyone who is any good doesn't need that kind of customer. They have plenty of work. I just thank them for calling and tell them I'll get back to them when I can assure them of a firm appointment for an estimate. Then I just forget about them. Life's too short. Did I describe you?

Reply to
MisterSkippy

If you do all of your own work, how do you 'know' this stuff??

IME and IMNSHO as a homeowner, I've found contractors to be pretty good, even excellent. That's probably because I go through word-of-mouth when I can, and, even if not say for a small job, I can tell who is good and who isn't. And approach the whole thing as something of a partnership.

Maybe you have a problem dealing with people that prevents you from making these connections and observations.

See -you piss people off right and left.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Although you don't want these kinds of customers I can probably tell you that these types of customers probably don't want you either. You just said that you tell them you will call them back but then you just forget about them. That tells me that (1) you are a liar and (2) you don't have much respect for your customers.

The reason some customers make such demands is because there are a lot of contractors out there who show up, do crappy work, and then cash the pay check before the customer has time to figure out that the work that was done was sloppy and needs to be fixed. Then when they try to get the contractor to come back and fix it they get the runaround of "that's the way it is supposed to be" or "that's as good as I can get it based on what you have" or "you should have said something before I left the worksite".

The customer is the one PAYING to get the work done and they are the one who has to LIVE with the results. They have ever RIGHT to be demanding and picky. You can choose not to work for them but at least be man enough to tell them you don't want to instead of being a lowlife liar that leaves them hanging.

Reply to
User Example

You missed the entire point you ignorant asshole. PLONK!

Reply to
MisterSkippy

No, you did.

Reply to
User Example

Actually, my guess is that you are like many others who can't tell good work from bad work and that you get screwed over and don't know about it.

Reply to
User Example