Secret password for hiring a plumber?

Page 2 of 6

Software Engineer now. Before that, Electronics Technician and Nuclear Power Plant operator. But I didn't learn how to fix things around the house by doing any of that.
User Example wrote:

So the purchasers of the software you write should obviously be writing their own as they're paying for the business license of of your employer as well as the secretary and your benefit and fringe package and the machine and tools you're using to develop with.
Right! <NOW> I get it...

That's not the same. They are paying for a product and they are have to pay for R&D. That goes for anything you buy off the shelf whether it is software, a toilet valve, or an A/C. I am not complaining about the price of building supplies, now.
I have done contract work where I had to go to the customer's site to write software. But even then, we negotiated on a rate (time and materials) and that's all I charged for. Granted my rate was very high but they knew that going into the deal. So, I expect the same when some workers come to my house to do work. I don't see the justice in paying mexican's $150/hr to paint my house, which is about what it works out to when you do the math.
User Example wrote:

It's <EXACTLY> the same...

You're paying for a product--that product is somebody's time and expertise and their investment in their equivalent overhead costs--in the trades that's tools, transportation, training, etc., etc., ...

Well, you go paint some houses for a living and see what you end up charging as a working wage... :)

Well I give up. It is obvious to me that the reason that contractors charge outrageous rates and do shoddy work is because the majority of homeowners don't know the difference in shoddy work and good work. I'm sure I piss the hell out of the contractors that work for me when they don't do a good job. For instance, when the guy installing my $1800 frameless shower finished up the job and there was a chipped piece of glass, smeared caulking, and scatches on my brand new marble shower enclosure you are darn right I told him to get back and fix it and I told him that I didn't appreciate him leaving a job that way. If it had been done right the first time I would have been happy. Even still, after 2 months of dealing with the shower guy, it still looks pretty sloppy. I'll end up taking the glass down sometime down the road and reinstalling and recaulking the mess. $1800 for 3 pieces of glass and it took 2 months and 3 call backs just to get it satisfactory. That's what I am talking about. And that's why I do anything I can do on my own. You don't like my view? Well, then you are probably a sucker so I don't care.
User Example wrote:

The difference between poor workmanship and the cost of doing business are two separate arguments...you've changed the target.
You must be the darling of the instant oil change places. :-)
Doug Kanter wrote:

Oh....you pay a little more for the oil & filter someplace else? Whatever for?
Doug Kanter wrote:

I think he's saying he doesn't change oil and filter because he won't pay the exorbitant overheads involved in the manufacturing and distribution of the products that he could just as well make for himself... :)

46 oz juice can, stuffed with cheesecloth, attached with duct tape. Got it!

...and all because he has a penis.
Banty
Doug Kanter wrote:

No, that's not it. You forget who you're talking about. This is Mr. Can-Do!, the perfectionist. He refines his own oil because if anyone is gouging, it's the oil companies. The filter housings come from his foray into smelting a while back, so he was already geared up for production. The filtering medium was obviously left over from his paper-making endeavours (paper grows on trees! Why should he pay anything at all for it?).
wrote in message

:-)
Well Doug,
Since no one here will tell you, I figured I should. Yes there is a secret password to get proper service from plumbers, and other service people too. For a small fee, I will share mine with you. LOL
Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone
RicodJour wrote:

the ball joints or check any other suspension type stuff. They are too busy undoing your airfilter so that they can get you to buy another one. I change my oil every 3 months and check out the bottom of my car. Costs a lot less than the jiffy lube and a lot more care goes into it. My Jeep has over 300000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten and has never needed any major service. Just a clutch, and I replaced that myself in an afternoon and save $800.
Who needs good gas mileage when you can save the money by doing your own maintenance?

Why not save in both areas?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

When automakers get with the program and finally make efficient cars I will. Until there, they are wasting my time. There is no reason that there shouldn't be several cars on the markey with >60mpg. Honda had the CRX HF back in 86 or so that was getting over 40mpg easily which is about as much or more than some of these Hybrids, today. And it didn't even use a battery. If you have noticed, the HP in todays cars is MUCH more than it was 20 yrs ago.
Most small cars today have well over 100hp. Did you know that the Honda CRX which would go over 100mph only had around 70HP? Did you know that the VW Beetle (original) only had 38HP-60HP depending on model? The HP is today's cars is a waste... automakers could easily trade some of that HP for more efficient lesser HP cars.
User Example wrote:

Can you say "Customer response" and "Emissions control" ?

The consumer seems to go in cycles, often based on the price/availability of gas. Right now, the advertising is geared towards power (that will never be used) and that is what people are buying. Look at the Chrysler ads and how they tout the hemi engine. They are selling cars. Same with the SUV craze. No matter how hard you try, 99% of the buyers of big cars and trucks just cannot justify having the Super8DeluxeExtendedBedandCab4x4 to commute to work or pick up a loaf of bread.
The Element and Scion though, seem to be selling, ugly as they are. What I want in a car is enough room to get in and out easily, all the goodies like power everything, rain sensing wipers, ability to cruise at 70 mph, enough acceleration to get safely on the highway (not 0-60 in 4 seconds). Much as I like the sexy sport cars, it is not what I want to drive day in and day out. There are many cars that fit that category, but still get less than 30 mpg. They can get more and still give good performance.