Second Story Height Limit

Page 2 of 2

Won't work, as Chris said earlier, the maximum height is based on how high it is above sea level (however that is calculated), no adjustments to soil level will change that.

Whoops. You're right, I misread that part to mean the height above grade didn't apply until you reached 210 feet.
Hey, maybe you could claim you misread it too?

It doesn't matter how you pencil it, the only way you will get a 2nd floor is one for hobbits.
Harry K

There is a way you can get a 2nd story, build alongside the house and sink the first floor 4-6' below ground level. Then stand in the street and give the bird to the HOA.
Harry K
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:47:31 -0800 (PST), Chris

You could put on a flat roof. How high would that make your house?
You could make the ceilings 7 feet tall on the second floor. I know I could stand up in a room with a 7 foot ceiling, or even 6'6". Would that meet code?

How does that satisfy the 4 in 12 requirement noted above?

Sorry, Ed, Trader. . I read that as maximum. Although I'd like to see the exact wording for that requirement too. Perhaps it says "Pitched roofs must be at least 4 inches in 12"or something else that doesn't require pitched roofs.
On 11/25/2011 7:54 AM, micky wrote:

Truly flat roof design is no longer legal in commercial work. Code requires a minimum of 1/4 per foot. In fact, re-roofs require positive drainage often accomplished with a tapered roof system on top of the existing flat roof.
As to the OP trying to add a second floor, someone else already pointed out that there is no way. The existing top plate will be over 8', 2nd floor joists and decking will be close to 12", new roof joists (even on a minimum slope flat roof) will be another 12" or more. These figures will result in less than 7' head clearance in the second floor. The split level solution suggested could be quite viable. It does sound like the HOA didn't want to ruin anybody's view of the mountains - a common issue in mountainous communities.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .

There are mountains?. I don't want to interfere with the view either. He should build the whole thing underground. Good in case of a war or an anti-terrorist attack on his house.