Second Hand Smoke Solution?

Page 4 of 4
theres a easy solution when smoking problems come up. tobacco smoke is a class A carciongen.
if anyone complains about smoke the smoker should lose......
The bottom line is that a person has the right to smoke on their own property.
If that person is renting, and the lease doesn't prohibit it, they can smoke on property they rent too. (in my case, I specifically prohibit tenants from smoking anywhere in the building, and I don't allow the burning of candles, incense, sweet grass or anything else in the apartments).
When the smoke gets blown around by the wind, and ends up going into a neighbors yard, you can't blame the smoker for that. He has no control over the wind.
In the case at hand, the tenants should just learn to close their patio sliding door when second hand smoke comes into their apartment. If they want the landlord to put up automatic fans to blow that smoke some other way, then they're simply being unreasonable... (unless they're willing to pay for the fans and their installation cost).
In this case, I think the tenants are seeing how far they can push the landlord. The clear and obvious solution is to close the door, but they smell the possibility of making the landlord spend several hundred dollars installing fans to make them happy, and so that's what they're after.
--
nestork

On 7/16/2013 8:31 PM, sms wrote:

I didn't see it mentioned, so out of curiosity, has anyone spoken to the smoking neighbors? It's possible that they don't realize the annoyance factor of the blowing smoke. (I know when I used to smoke, I thought people who complained about being able to smell smoke on clothes and wafting in the breeze etc were just crocks, but when I stopped smoking, I realized just how noticeable it can be, more so than I'd have thought). Since they are apparently wiling to cooperate with the landlord's rule not to smoke in the hose, it's possible they might be willing to do something to eliminate/reduce the second hand smoke, like maybe putting a fan on their own patio to blow it in a different direction. Or use "smokeless' ashtrays.
Otherwise, maybe you could put up one of those bamboo roll-up screens on the patio, that your tenants could lower when they open the patio door, to help to deflect the smoke. Or put a fan inside of their patio door blowing out as an exhaust fan, pulling air in from another window.