Second floor toilet leak

I've got a plumber on the way. Our second floor toilet leaks down onto the first floor ceiling - no water comes out from around the base of the toilet onto the floor in the bathroom.
Could someone verify: I've heard that the leak is from a broken flange or leaky pipe (not the wax ring) if the water goes down. If it's from around the base of the toilet onto the floor that means the wax ring needs to be replaced. True or false?
Thanks,
Kim
K, T, E & N wrote:

Could still be a leaking wax seal; they don't always produce leak on the floor. Jim