Seattle Bag Tax

Page 2 of 2

I heard on the radio, about a year ago. That some place up north in Canada is separating out disposable diapers. (Would that be a brown box, at the curb?)
The cellulose can be broken down by intense heat, and makes a servicable low grade liquid fuel for oil fired boilers.
I'll leave it to others to insert the obligatory potty jokes.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Doug Brown wrote:

SOME of it is degrading - there's a market in harvesting Methane from landfills.
squirltop wrote:

I do that, but now have 7 freezers full of smelly garbage.
There's got to be a better way.
Bob F wrote:

Think: "Be Neighborly!"
In article

Plastic bags are 5c each at the checkout in some chains here. We rarely bother with them, but occasionally pick up one or two to use as rubbish bags.
Miche
--
Electricians do it in three phases

Miche wrote:

Saw a Home Depot droid on a morning TV program demonstrating paint application devices. The only thing I got out of the demo was when he showed how you could use a Home Depot plastic bag as a seal when putting the lid back on a paint can.
'Course he pointed out this only worked with HOME DEPOT plastic bags...
.

. That's shocking!

The Moonbat Libs tried to pass the "bag tax" here in Maine last year to get folks to stop using them as well but due to public outcry it was dropped...They get re-used for EVERYTHING...Couldn't be more green...LOL
As a side note the tax was more about getting for funding for Maine's FAILED publicly funded healthcare (Dirigo) then it was about being green...FWIW....

There is no one answer to the bag debate. Step one is to reduce the number of bags used. Some stores seem to put one item per bag rather that fill them to capacity. Loaf of bread in one bag, the dozen eggs in another.
We do use re-usable bags and frankly, I prefer them due to the design. They have a flat bottom and can be filled easily and sit well in the car. Our store gives a 5 credit for each bas used. We paid 99 for the bag and will easily get that back over time.
We do take some items in plastic bags. I use the bags to carry my lunch to work and bring the empty container home again. It may then be used as a trash can liner for a third use. It then goes to the trash to energy plant where it gives off the fuel content of 18,000 Btu per pound converted to make electricity.
The real problem is when people are careless slobs; bags end up thrown away outside as litter, trash dumped in the water so the bags float around causing marine problems. The makers of Glad seem to be responsible energy users and I'm sure they'd want the consumer to do the same.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have a solution to the latter, and have written my Congress-critter.
Put the tax-funded FBI fingerprint database online!
Lifting a latent from the bag in my yard wouldn't be hard, and with suitable software I could probably find the malefactor.
Then I could return his "lost" property. And shoot his goddamn dog.
On 8/26/2009 6:16 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Except that based on the actual performance of such systems (as opposed to their vaunted reputations and the ridiculous Hollywood depictions of the inerrancy of all systems law-enforcement related), you'd probably end up shooting the dog of the poor slob at the supermarket who bagged the perp's order ...

Back in the 70's, my brother's house was the last on the block and there was an empty lot after his property, more open land on the other side of the street. People would sometimes dump trash on the lot. He'd look for an address and take the trash back to them late at night. Sans the bags.

Interesting. I wonder if you couldn't get one of those cameras that people use along trails to keep track of deer, etc. Might be lucrative to you if there is a bounty.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

Good idea, put those dead squirrels, rabbits and dog turds in the freezer, maybe some drunk guest will think its a snack and eat it.