"seasonal" fleas

Page 2 of 2

Not so odd, when you kick the cat out for the summer, her fleas are left behind. They'd rather be on the cat, but when she's no longer there they'll jump on you. Treat the basement again and as someone mentioned treat the poor cat. (Advantage, not one of the HARTZ OTC products, unless you want to hasten the cat's demise). She's probably hopping all year long. Next winter when she comes in she is unlikely to have many friends to leave behind.

She gets regular treatments with Advantage.
:) What's the best way to get rid of them for good? This year I spray :) some cedar scented spray at the bottom of the door, inside a few feet :) then along the window to make sure they weren't getting in from there. :) They didn't bite when they landed on me....I've heard there are :) "concrete" or "basement" fleas but I wasn't sure if they'd come and go :) or not. This is pretty bizarre.
For there to be fleas, there has to be a host animal...cat, rat, possum, etc. The source animal will need to be addressed before the problem is solved..treatment or removal. Use products that contain IGRs (Insect Growth Regulators) to break the cycle and keep the larvae from developing into the biting adult. Depending on the floor of the basement may determine what will work best, for example if it is a concrete floor the aerosol type treatments won't last. You mentioned they didn't bite you and you have seen them after a wet Spring. It might be Springtails what you are seeing...they thrive in moist areas. They will be soft bodied, easily smashed with a finger where as fleas will just hop away after trying to mash them.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.