"seasonal" fleas

OK, barn cats are great. On the farms where I've seen them, they did not get into the house as pets. Wild, nasty things. PET cats are exposed to injury and illness when they are allowed out. That is no way to treat a pet. I'm not a "cat person", but lived with hubby's pet until he died - had him euthanized when he got cancer. He was a sweet, affectionate, trainable cat. I would not have let him run loose for anything. Whilst we had him, we had an injured cat crawl into our condo atrium late one night - obviously injured, suffering and on death's door. He had a big, infected wound on his head. I put a bowl of water down for him, then called the animal control folks. Nice lady came to get him, said his wound was infected and full of maggots. She didn't want to tell us they would euthanize him, but it was obvious that he needed to be put out of his misery.

Cats also trade pheline viruses - I don't want a pet of mine to go through that. Mouse traps are not expensive.

Reply to
NorMinn

We don't have an animal control officer or department in this county. Someone dropped the present cat here and three weeks later it had 5 kittens. I wouldn't go out and buy a cat, can't afford one on my fixed income. However, there is never a shortage of cats because some animal lover is always abandoning their unwanted cats. If they want to stay in the barn and do their job, that's ok with me. Cats out here in rural poverty areas are by necessity treated different than house cats. If they trade in feline viri and other disorders, than so be it. If I pay for medical care for them, I won't be able to pay for medical care for myself. God didn't make a perfect world and this is as good as it'll get for them or for me. The alternative would be to go out there tonight and shoot all six of them. Is this what you would do if you couldn't give them a good home with fancy medical care? Or do I take them for a ride and abandon them like someone else did? No, I don't think so. At least they have food and shelter.

Why did you have your husband euthanized when he got cancer?

Bob

Reply to
rck

clipped

Took me a long time to work up the courage :o)

Reply to
NorMinn