"seasonal" fleas

Page 1 of 2
This is odd....last year we had a fairly wet spring. In late May I went into the basement one day and had a bunch of fleas land on me. I dropped a bug bomb in there a couple of times but they still returned. I tried some power, that didn't touch them at all. I sprayed a bit of cedar spray on the stairs into the basement which stopped them from hanging out there. The basement is fairly wide open and there are no warm/wet areas for them to call home. I have a cat but she's an outdoor cat that only comes in during the winter. No mice or rats down there. They returned again this year, I just avoided the basement and would enter through the back exterior door to get the mower out.
What's the best way to get rid of them for good? This year I spray some cedar scented spray at the bottom of the door, inside a few feet then along the window to make sure they weren't getting in from there. They didn't bite when they landed on me....I've heard there are "concrete" or "basement" fleas but I wasn't sure if they'd come and go or not. This is pretty bizarre.
rickm wrote:

As I recall flea eggs can exist a long time before hatching. Almost nothing will kill the eggs. That makes getting rid of them rather difficult.
Of course eliminating any dogs also help.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:43:11 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

No dogs, nothing. Just a cat. When the cat goes...well...no more pets. Could be one of the neighbors, a couple of them are rather shoddy looking. :)
I'm going to clean out the basement to make sure there are no damp areas then I'll vacuum the floor with my shop vac. I'm thinking about mopping the concrete with a lot of hot soapy water. I read somewhere that putting salt down can kill them also since it can dry out the eggs.

This is Turtle.
I had a time with them sometime back and got my bug spraying man to come kill them out in the storage room and yard. The spray they have will kill the live fleas but will do nothing for the eggs that have not hatched out. They have a shell around the egg that nothing will get to it. To remove the fleas from coming back he said you will have to vaccum them up and take the bag out of the vaccum clean after use and burn it or take it to a dump and through it out. If you leave 1 egg they will return because the flea is Male and Female combined. They don't need male and female to reproduce.
I had to remove everything and take it out side that was on the floor or 3 feet from the floor. I had him spray everything and vaccum the stuff that was 3 feet from the floor. Flea will not lay egg more than 3 feet from the floor level.
I must have missed one for they came back in about 3 months but only come back in the store room. I then took some Flea & Tick Killer granules down at walmarts [ 25 pound bag ] and spread it out in the store room and left it there for about a week. I then vaccumed the stuff up and vaccumed everything else in there and That was the end of the problem.
I really don't know where in this process did the trick correctly but it work with this process. It could be the spray weaken them and then the Flea and tick killer stuff took them out but this combination took them out.
TURTLE
Turtle,
I enjoy your posts, but for some reason, they never line-wrap properly, and I have to scroll waayyy to the right to see the entire line.
Would you please check your news program settings to make sure the line length is set somewhere between 76 and 80 characters?
Thanks much,
Abe -----------------------------------------------

"Abe" wrote

and
AhHa, it's not just me. (Also a Turtle fan)

They look fine with Agent news reader. Another Turtle fan.

Even AOL handles it ;-)

This is Turtle.
Here try this out.
TURTLE
"TURTLE" wrote

Thanks, I read a couple of your other posts in another forum. Views much better now.

This is Turtle.
Here try this out.
TURTLE
:) To remove the fleas from coming back he said you will have to vaccum them up and take the bag out of the :) vaccum clean after use and burn it or take it to a dump and through it out. If you leave 1 egg they will return because the flea is :) Male and Female combined. They don't need male and female to reproduce.
Actually they have two distinct sexes...you just have to be thorough thorough thorough. Suposedly a billion dollars worth of work has gone from the pest control industry to the vetenarian industry in regards to flea control (Frontline, Advantage, etc), I say they can have it :)
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:43:11 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
:) As I recall flea eggs can exist a long time before hatching. Almost :) nothing will kill the eggs. That makes getting rid of them rather :) difficult. The eggs will be taken care of easily enough with an IGR, it's the pupa stage that are protected from chemicals and can they can stay in that stage for a year, only to emerge after they sense movement and body heat.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

One thing I have tried before,and actually helped was to get one of those lighted flea traps,with the sticky pad in the tray.To my surprise it worked pretty well in my basement.It also caught every other type of bug living down there.As for the floor,try sprinkling a coat of sevin dust or something simliar on the floor and covering with newspapers for a couple of days,then vaccum thoroughly.
rickm wrote:

For your sake and for the cat's, make it an indoor cat or get rid of it. If you keep the cat, get the monthly flea treatment like Advantage. Our cat was an indoor cat all of it's life, but still had a raging case of fleas. (They can get in through screens). Our vet told us, along with starting the Advantage, to treat our carpet with boric acid, leave on for a week, and vacuum. I didn't have to do the boric acid, as Advantage worked miraculously for us.
I wouldn't want anyone's cat droppings in my yard/planters/patio, and I would not give them to anyone else. There is no reward or benefit in letting any pet run loose.

Oh yes there is. They'll keep a barn free of mice, squirrels, and all sorts of other critters. Having a cat is like owning any other piece of equipment. There are pro's and con's. If a cat is a good mouser, you let it stay. If it doesn't earn its keep, get rid of it and get a cat that will keep the place clean.
Bob

Obviously your cat is not your pet!
--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
rck wrote:

OK, barn cats are great. On the farms where I've seen them, they did not get into the house as pets. Wild, nasty things. PET cats are exposed to injury and illness when they are allowed out. That is no way to treat a pet. I'm not a "cat person", but lived with hubby's pet until he died - had him euthanized when he got cancer. He was a sweet, affectionate, trainable cat. I would not have let him run loose for anything. Whilst we had him, we had an injured cat crawl into our condo atrium late one night - obviously injured, suffering and on death's door. He had a big, infected wound on his head. I put a bowl of water down for him, then called the animal control folks. Nice lady came to get him, said his wound was infected and full of maggots. She didn't want to tell us they would euthanize him, but it was obvious that he needed to be put out of his misery.
Cats also trade pheline viruses - I don't want a pet of mine to go through that. Mouse traps are not expensive.

sorts
equipment.
If it

place
We don't have an animal control officer or department in this county. Someone dropped the present cat here and three weeks later it had 5 kittens. I wouldn't go out and buy a cat, can't afford one on my fixed income. However, there is never a shortage of cats because some animal lover is always abandoning their unwanted cats. If they want to stay in the barn and do their job, that's ok with me. Cats out here in rural poverty areas are by necessity treated different than house cats. If they trade in feline viri and other disorders, than so be it. If I pay for medical care for them, I won't be able to pay for medical care for myself. God didn't make a perfect world and this is as good as it'll get for them or for me. The alternative would be to go out there tonight and shoot all six of them. Is this what you would do if you couldn't give them a good home with fancy medical care? Or do I take them for a ride and abandon them like someone else did? No, I don't think so. At least they have food and shelter.

cancer.
Why did you have your husband euthanized when he got cancer?
Bob
clipped

Took me a long time to work up the courage :o)