sears wall oven

i have a sears gas oven about 3 to 4 yrs. old.. last year the ignitor burned out.. i replaced it and now it seems to be out again.. how long do these things last????? i bought the new one and made sure it was handled very carefully as i know they are delicate and did not want to damage it.... it sits in the bottom of the oven by the boiler.. we never use the boiler so there is no chance of hitting it with a pot or something... any ideas???? i dont want to put another one in about 6 months down the line... the oven was made by GE for sears..... thanks for a reply.....

Hi,
Model#? You using factory parts or replacement ignitors? Most ignitors will last 2-5 years, sometimes "it" happens and they last less. That part -should- come with a one year warranty! Sprayed with oven cleaner, too many self clean cycles ( I don't believe your oven is SC? ) may shorted it's life.
I'd check your part warranty if the last one was installed under a year ago.
jeff wrote:

oven had a pilot and we never had any problems with it, but it was 30 yrs. old and she wanted a new one..... oh well... it was so easy with the old time stuff.. now i have to learn electronics if the digital dispaly goes out... it was a GE part in a GE box.. i probably threw out the papers for it, never expecting it to go out..but will learn to keep the papers with everything........ no we dont use oven cleaner in the boiler area.. none needed as we dont use the boiler.. oh, we did have to replace the control and sensor in the old oven.. did not realize the oven cleaner ate up the sensor..... we learned the hard way by having overcooked meals where the temp would just climb, and climb... did not know what it was until we put the oven thernmometer in it and discovered that everything was cooking at 500+ degrees....
Hi,

Aren't some of this new stuff fun?!!? ;)
Having to change the hot surface ignitor a couple of times is becomming normal service in the life of an gas oven/range anymore!

500+'s.....yikes.....burnt offerings!
jeff.

Usually a bit longer than that maybe 5-6 years... but stuff happens unfortunately.

Not only brittle but sensitive to even oils from your skin if you were to touch its filament. You also don't know how it was handled from GE to the supplier, and from that supplier to yourself.

Most manufacturers guaranty replacement appliance parts for 1 year from date of purchase. If you would like a longer warranty, the company at the following link sells limited lifetime warranties for the replacement parts they sell. If they cover oven ignitors, that is one item which it would likely be well worth while to get it on.
JMO
Common G.E. Built Range Oven Ignitor http://tinyurl.com/ysnrt
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+GE+stove
=~~~~~~
Dan O. wrote:

in sept. 03.... guy he got a 1 yr. warranty.. bring it in with receipt.. and i did got another one.... mine was shot(no continuity).......

G'day,
Keep this receipt!! You never know!! ;)
Hope all is good when you install the ignitor.