Sears stackable washer - wash cycle is dead

We hauled out my old stackabe/portable Sears washer, model C1102250081 when having washer problems; put on a load and it worked fine. Put on the 2nd load and nothing... no water, no noise. My husband played around with it, and found that the wash cycle (or rather all 4 wash cycles around the dial) show no life; however, the rinse cycle seems to work (starts pouring in the H2O) and the spin cycle does too (again, all around the dial). Seems that only the Wash cycle is dead.
Any thoughts?? We'd sure like it as a backup since the big washer is around 40 years old (the old workhorse that it is!)
Cathy
Sounds like a timer/control issue. Don't know how these are built, but you might be able to see if the contacts are burned beyond use. Being a Sears unit, parts are probably available to repair it.

Cathy Boer wrote:

I would open the control panel and check for loose wires or connectors first. If all looks fine, order a new timer from Sears and Sawbuck unless they got fancy and added a control board or relay bank or computer. You know they are itching to make it non-repairable by the owner like the are doing to cars.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8