Sears Snowlblowers are Crap?

I decided to purchase the Craftsman 29 in. Snow Thrower, Propelled with 9 hp Tecumseh Engine (Mfr# 88799) for $799, and seeking opinions on the specific machines performance and reliability. Some web searches say that Sears sells crap along with many complaints on their products - this snowblower in particular. I think this machine at this price is an good deal, but I wonder if "you get what you pay for" applies here. Do you agree or disagree that Sears snowblowers (this one in particular) are not good products?
Also, do you know where to find additional specs on the product besides Sears website? The description for some Craftsman items are rather vague, and missing important specifications. I'm thinking that Craftsman is a separate outlet that builds the machine using other manufactures parts, then puts their name on it. Their site links you to the Sears specifications, thereby providing no further information.

hp
specific
sells
wonder
I had a sears snowblower. It was crap, and I returned it. You definitely get what you pay for.
You hopefully will have your snowblower for many years, and ask it to do some heavy work. Do not skimp. I'm not telling you to buy a 2k Honda, but you can buy a pretty nice Toro for $800.00-900.00. 6-8 HP is fine unless you're living in Buffalo or something.
JWB
I'll never buy Sears power equiptment, there service is shit!
Buy a .......Toro or Ariens.
Tom

9
that
get
anyone that knows a little about motors knows Tecumseh has the least life in it. Not well made motors, by design.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in message

My experience has been that something always seems to go wrong with those motors Sears uses in a short time, like 1.1 seasons. And they won't take ANY abuse or they burn right up. When I say "my experience" I really mean that of others looking for help when their Sears product craps out.

Try here...
http://www.whatsthebest-lawnmower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-lawnmower
When fall comes,they talk snowthrowers.

hp
specific
sells
wonder
then
If you don't maintain your equipment, whatever the cost it quickly becomes crap. I am currently using a twelve year old Craftsman 5 hp snowblower that I maintain myself. Starts first pull, handles any snow I have come across. Of course I don't macho the auger into a snowbank. I change the oil as necessary, lube and closely watch the other assemblies. Think for a second, there aren't many pieces of power equip that would last long if used as a snowblower is. In the snow, soaking wet , put away hot and wet, probably no oil change from storm to storm to storm. I have a Honda mower, it cuts the grass, nothing more. I have a Craftsman snowblower, it throws the snow, nothing more.
Dave
Some are good some are bad. Depends on who makes the particular model you have. I have a Craftsman with a B&S engine. Very good machine. Craftsman doesn't build anything. As many other companies do, they only contract others build to their specifications.
For example the GE, Frigidaire, and Sears front loader washing machine are all built by White Westinghouse.
Billy wrote:

hp
specific
sells
wonder
then
even their cordless drills are crap. and many other over priced tools are crap!
soon Sears will become a store of the past.
I bought their 8 hp snowblower 10 years ago and use it every winter here in Minnesota, no complaints. I have purchased refrigerators, washers and dryers and microwave ovens, dehumidifiers, and Sony televisions and have not had any problems with any of their Kenmore or GE Profile products.

9
that
vague,