Sears snow thrower engine governor and throttle link spring question

I've got a Sears snow thrower model 536.884670, engine number

143955071 that wouldn't run for more than a few minutes and only with the choke on full. I bought a new carburetor for it and in reinstalling I'm not sure where to connect the governor link and spring. There is a small part that moves with a connection hole on the back of the carburetor. Sears.COM has the parts list and a drawing of each part but it doesn't show how to put it back together. I connected the spring (part 19A) from the connection hole on the carburetor to the governor lever (part 16) 0and got it started without using the governor link (part 186) but the engine runs way too fast and exhausts a huge cloud of black smoke.

So, I guess the governor link should connect to the governor lever but where does the spring go? Does one end might go in the same connection hole on the back of the carburetor as the governor link? Where the heck is the other end of the spring supposed to go?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
williamregan

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news:fc4acedf- snipped-for-privacy@p1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Not that it helps you now Bill but stuff that goes only one way, most of the time I snap off a bunch of digital pics first even if I "know" how it goes. Costs nothing. Saved my ass a few times...well more than a few. Just an idea if you have a camera.

Reply to
Red Green

Reply to
jacko

The most general way I've seen it done is that the governor link AND the end of the pring go into the same hole on that moving part on the back of the carb.

The spring pull acts to open the throttle and the link from the governor acts to close the throttle as the engine speed increases.

A balance is reached so the engine runs at the desired speed. Pulling harder on the spring means the engine has to speed up so the pull from the governor linkage balances the spring force.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If you can find the Tecumseh number you might get some information here:

If you click on the Cast Iron Engines Service Information link there is some good pictures:

I am surprised that it is not listed at this site.

Rich256

Reply to
jacko