Sears Riding Mower Gear/Break Problem

I have a 15.5 HP Sears Lawnmower that is about 6 years old. When I crank up the mower, it starts out find and begins to idle. Then, when I engage the gears, the mower doesn't move. I pushed the gear lever back and forth, and it doesn't work. The lawnmower doesn't move. Also, I got someone to push the lawnmower as the engine was running from the back, and I pushed down on the clutch/brake, and the brake doesn;t work either. I checked the drive belt under the mower and its fine. Whats wrong?

Reply to
vivek9856

Andy writes;

You have two drive belts, one for the wheels and one for the blade. Make sure both are working and engaged. Look under the engine when the mower is running and see why the drive belt doesn't move. Or rather, have someone else look since your mower has a cutout switch that turns the engine off when you get out of the seat.

This ain't rocket surgery. You just have to check it out. Either the belt is transferring power to the transmission or it isn't....

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I have had someone check both belts. The belt/pulley system is fine. All the belts are tight, they also turn when the mower is running, but the mower brake or gears dont work

Reply to
vivek9856

Transmission pulley may be slipping on the transmission input shaft. Transmission output (axles) may be slipping in the wheel hubs. Either may be caused by broken keys. Transmission linkage may be bent, broken, loose, or misadjusted so transmission is not properly engaged. There may be an internal transmission problem.

Reply to
Don Young

Respectfully suggest that if someone has to ask about such basic things it might be better, for them, to take it to repair shop? Probing around with being knowledable etc. and possibly without the right tools COULD be dangerous and possibly cause a more expensive repair?

Reply to
Terry