Sears Repair Prices

I'm curious what some of the other folks have found for Sears prices.

When I used to work for Sears (1996) their cheapest residential no heat call was about $130. I had their price book in my hands at a couple points, but didn't sneak it home to photo copy it.

What experiences have anyone else had?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think their repair prices are obscene. I would never buy anything from Sears that necessitated repairs through them.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

My most recent experience with them went like this. (last Monday) The snow blower a Craftsman, 29" model threw the auger drive axel out of the bearing flange, screwed up the impeller, auger, bent two pins, broke both shear pins, chewed the hell out of the intake hood and impeller barrow. The price? Zip, Zero, Zilch, Nada. They did OK by me this time. I was expecting a bill somewhere just under the price of a replacement model.

Stone

Reply to
Gary Stone

Under warranty?

Reply to
dadiOH

Was it a recall item?

Reply to
Art

I know someone at Sears and he claims it costs Sears $85 to make a service call. Sears prices are high but they are far from the highest, try Maytag or GE. The most common complaint is not the price it's the way they schedule service. I can't speak for all areas of the country but in the NE they do different areas on different days. If your appliance breaks down on Wednesday and your in a Tuesday area you'll have to wait a week for service.

The second biggest complaint is on the scheduled day it's not uncommon to get a call at 4:30PM saying they are running behind and won't be able to make it. This means waiting another week. This actually happened to me. I got the call on two consecutive Thursday's. They got the dishwasher back.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

Reply to
Ed

This is Turtle.

Sear is the top dogs in my area for prices for it is $87.00 + [ $40.00+ or $.50 a miles ] which pans out to $127.00 for the tech to knock on the door. now they only come to my town on thursday and charge every customer full mileage to the town and back. Now they chage $127.00 for each call and will never bring any parts. Now lest say they have 10 call in town and all 10 will wait till next thursday for the service man to return to this town with the parts to put them on. Now they get to charge another $127.00 each to return and put the parts on. now parts are another story and high as a cats back but hey parts are high I guess. So if you want a set screw in your furnace or refrigirator it will cost you $254.00 + parts if it is a easy fix. now if you need a motor or some timely repair it will be $257.00 + $72.00 a hour + parts. a example of one customer in town here called them to change a evaperator blower motor on a gas furnace and the total cost was $971.00 and still waited 10+ days to get it repaired. I replace these same motors for $225.00 to $315.00 total charges and keep the motors on my truck with me. the difference between $315.00 and $971.00 is just to big for the same job. I love to see a business person charge a good fee but they must be a limit to it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Out of warranty by 2 weeks. They figure there was a problem from the get go. I had told them that it would shutter once in awhile (not real bad) and did so just before tossing the drive axle out of the flange causing a lot of damage. I was afraid they would say I hit something. They could have just said, Sorry out of warranty like NEC did to me with a monitor that blew 2 days after the warranty expired, but they didn't.

Stone

Reply to
Gary Stone

Turtle, What town are you talking about? What did you do......more to another state. The last I heard from you was that folks in your area of Louisiana were too poor to pay more that $40.

Jabs

Reply to
Jabs