Sears power tool parts

Page 1 of 2
I"ve got an Craftsman bench grinder I bought over 30+ years ago. Needs a replacement for one of the eyeshelds. When I go to the searsparts website and look up the model number it finds it but they no longer carry that part. So I looked at some of their current bench grinders and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?
many new items are sold with no parts available:(
I bought a brand new Sears 8 HP chipper around 800 bucks and wore out the t ree chiiping blade in a month, it was a severe service event nearly trimmed forest.
i was unable to get chipper blade parts and after it being at their service depot for perhaps 6 months my complaints finally got me a whole new chippe r, they sent the old one to the trash compactor.. i offered them a 100 buck s for it but they refused. both chippers were the same exact model
i tried ordering a extra chipper blade set but was unable to buy the part. if you ask me this is stupid....
On 8/6/2013 8:18 PM, bob haller wrote:

I wonder if a machine shop could make one for you? I know guys with CNC machines that can take a hunk of any metal and through the use of magic, can turn out anything. ^_^
TDD

Yes, a good shop could make such a part. Starting from scratch, with no jigs, and no plans, it shouldn't cost over $1000.
Dave M.
On 8/7/2013 6:59 AM, David L. Martel wrote:

I admit having no idea of the cost without asking one of the guys at the machine shops I'm familiar with. I have had many parts made at machine shops that weren't outrageously expensive but necessary because there was no source for an OEM part. If a shop wants too much money for a job, I'd try a school and speak to an instructor there and see if the students would make the part as a project for their learning practical machining. Trade schools in my area have had students repair vehicles for low income folks referred to them by charitable organizations. It's been many years since I had any contact with anyone involved so I don't know if it's still done because of liability concerns due to the litigious nature of modern society. o_O
TDD

no

That's way out of line. It probably would only cost as much as a brand new chipper and a case of beer.
(-:
--
Bobby G.

I need a part too. I have been using a wonderful light Sears battery weed wacker. Replacement plastic blades are not available. It's only 2-3 years old. I only have 1 1/2 left. I tried using wire, no good. A crimped piece of regular string might work, but I need a ferrule of some sort.
Greg

The blades have to be the right weight.
www.youtube.com/watch?vr3AJEJPxk
Greg

See if this looks different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
r3AJEJPxk
Greg

That's what I suspected. Their new stuff has the old Craftsman name and paint colors but looks a lot like it was made by the same company(s) that make stuff for harbor Freight. I tried getting some extra blades for something at harbor freight once and I must have been the only person who ever asked.
I've seen exploded parts diagrams for HF tools, and Craftsman is good about the online data. But, to not have parts (like chipper blades) available? Sounds like a bad corporate decision some where up the line. Old folks like me, we desire to have replacement parts available.
On 8/7/2013 4:02 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On 8/7/2013 5:37 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Old folks don't believe in disposable tools for some odd reason but I did work for an electrical supplier 4 decades ago that was a Black & Decker industrial power tool supplier. The B&D rep explained to us that they were making two different 1/4" drills. One drill cost $100.00 and the other was priced at $10.00. The reason was contractors had too many $100.00 drills broken or stolen so they would buy a bunch of $10.00 drills and throw them away at the end of a job because the things were worn out or broken. The contractors were pleased with the cost saving afforded by the inexpensive tools which got the job done. I would assume that contractors are now buying the equivalent of the $10.00 drill at Harbor Freight instead of an industrial supply house. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 08:34:19 -0500, The Daring Dufas

My dad worked construction all his life and that was exactly what he concluded after getting some of his very expensive tools stolen. He'd buy a new skilsaw, for example, at the start of a job and throw it away at the end. Next job would start with a new saw with a nice new blade. He as just telling me last week about a $600 planner that got stolen out of his truck years ago. He's moved it into the cab and covered it up and they still came looking for it, didn't even damage the truck jimmying the door.
On 8/8/2013 1:07 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

JH my roommate wonders why I lock any vehicle after getting out of it no matter where I'm parked, even in front of the house. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 01:16:57 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I got so used to locking every vehicle that on the rare occasions when I leave it unlocked because I'm just going to be away for 45 seconds I always "unlock" it when I get back so not locking it is pointless.
Inside job, maybe?
On 8/8/2013 2:07 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:09:36 -0400, Stormin Mormon

No, this was after he'd left the jobsite and headed over to the Horse Track by himself.
So, you conclude that none of his coworkers, employees, or job site brother tradesmen observed the planer and made plans to steal it, because he had gone to the horse track by himself? I really don't follow your (curious) logic.
On 8/8/2013 7:44 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 01:03:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon

No, I see what you are saying, I'm saying there was no reason in his mind to think his coworkers would have followed him to the track, not that it can't be ruled out. It still wouldn't change the basic point, easier to just buy disposable tools.
On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:18:12 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Sears didn’t even have the magnetron for one of their microwaves. We’re all going to have to learn Chinese if we want any parts.