sears kenmore washer will not spin or agitate ?

model 110.82870110

lid switch works fine. water fills and drains fine.

motor is running but agitator does not move and drum does not spin.

was looking for a belt but did not see one, I think it is direct drive.

Is it possible something is jammed and preventing the movement or is it a major component likely at fault.

If not a DIY job how expensive a repair is this? Trying to determine if we are better off buy a new or used model.

Thanks a bunch! Dirty clothes in Milford MA!

MC

Reply to
Mister C

Whatdyamean id doesn't agitate? I bet you are agitated as hell right now.

Check

or
for some ideas.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My 20+ year old Inglis does that every few years. I had to replace a cotter pin on the wig-wag below the belt underneath the washer.

Reply to
Martik

Hi,

Yes this is a direct drive style = no belt.....but it has a motor coupler between the motor and transmission, if this breaks the washer can still fill and drain but the motor still runs but you get no agitate or spin. Probably a good idea to check the motor coupler.

to take apart - Cabinet off, cabinet on, checking or replacing a lid switch, replace the pump, replace motor coupling or motor.

motor to transmission coupling, replaces all previous styles and versions. (for direct-drive washers with no belt).

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Sure sounds like the motor coupler could be the problem. I will take apart tonight and see. I am wondering though... the agitator will not turn by hand, it is stuck. Would this still imply a possible motor coupler issue? I would think if the coupler was broke that the agitator might spin freely by hand, then again maybe not.

Thanks again. Will post a post operation followup.

Mark

Reply to
Mister C

Hi,

It normally won't turn by hand it the transmission is locked into an agitate mode, when the washer is done spinning you may be able to turn the agitator by hand but since yours won't spin it is probably normal that you cannot move yours by hand.

Good luck with the repair! :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thank you to all for your help!

It was the motor coupler.

MC

Reply to
Mister C

Musta been a whirlpool based machine. I've replaced two of those couplers for friends who have washing machines.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thankx for the update!!

Glad to hear you got it repaired :)