Sears Kenmore Power Miser 6

The Sears Kenmore Power Miser 6, 40 Gallon, Natural Gas water heater is a poorly designed product. I recommend that if you are needing a water heater, to stay away from this product line, and this specific water heater (the Sears Kenmore Power Miser 6, 40 Gallon, Type: Natural Gas).

I have now been waiting for about a month for a thermocouple part to replace the thermocouple on my two-year-old Sears Kenmore Power Miser

6, 40 Gallon, Natural Gas water heater. This part is on backorder because, I believe, they can't keep them in stock because the thermocouple assembly is failing for many customers who have purchased the Sears Kenmore Power Miser 6, 40 Gallon, Natural Gas water heater over the past few years.

YCTML.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

Sear's Kenmore brand is the WORST. We outfitted our remodeled kitchen with all new Kenmore "Elite" appliances about 2 years ago, and have had repair calls on the stove, refrigerator and microwave (still doesn't work right after 2 service calls). My favorite was the Trio "Elite" refrigerator, which completely died on us so we lost all the food in it. Called 1-800-4-MyHome, and they couldn't be bothered to send someone for TWO WEEKS, so we called an independent repair service. The independent told us that the Trio fan motors are pieces of Korean junk and that he's replaced several on brand newish refrigerators.

Oh, and we had a Sears repairman DRAG the stove across our hardwood floor in order to access the back of it...no cardboard or anything on the floor, just dragging it along the wood making gouges as he did so. His reply? "

THOSE WERE ALREADY THERE"

Yet the gouges began where the stove started and ended where he had dragged it. We tossed his ass out of the house and after MANY calls to Sears, finally got them to admit it was their fault and got them to pay to repair the floor.

Sears is to be avoided at all costs. Kenmores are junk, and Craftsmen items are not much better, and their customer service is HORRENDOUS.

Reply to
Pauli G

Aren't thermocouples standard parts in all gas fired appliances and you can pick one up at just about any hardware store for $5. The only thing you have to know is how long it needs to be. I always buy the "12 ones because you can just coil the extra wire and tuck it away. In most cases, a thermocouple is a universal fit.

So why do you insist on waiting for a service call when you could do it yourself by this evening. It only takes a small wrench and 15 minutes, less time than it takes to schedule the service call. You are in a DIY forum afterall. I can't believe you are waiting a month without hot water, that's ................

Reply to
pipedown

My how times have changed. I still like Craftsman because of the warrenty, but Kenmore used to be the mark of excellence.

Reply to
Dan S.

Forever Craftsman warranty for socket sets and some hand tools only, all else normal warranty, 90 days, 1 year, whatever. Some Kenmore's rated tops by Consumer Reports, but we found our large appliance fails multiple times just after the warranty. Wife stay away from Kenmore no matter how good the sale is.

Reply to
Frank

Hi, That forever warranty is different now. When my rachet wrench broke,they gave me repair kit in a bag, not a replacement.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

hey, Tony Hwang , all the best songs are ABBA songs and you had to say????...

rsfcking K-mart...

Reply to
Dennis J

After retirement, I continued my association with Sears at a Sears Hardware store. We used to have the girls behind the counter rebuild ratchet wrenches when they weren't busy so a customer with a bad wrench got one of those rebuilt units instead of a new one. The only time they got a new one was when we didn't have a rebuilt one in stock. I've heard that the hand tools don't have the lifetime warranty any longer, either. It used to be the custom for scavengers to hit the garage sales and pick up old defective Craftsman tools, bring them to the nearest Sears and exchange them for new and then sell the new tools at a flea market. That was in Arizona, anyway. The stores finally started getting the name of the scavengers and would then no longer exchange tools for them. Of course, they'd just switch to another Sears store, I think.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

For every "scavenger" there are 100 honest customers. Should Sears be willing to anger the legitimate customers because of a few bad eggs? Call it the cost of doing business and move on.

Reply to
unklbob

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Try doing some research on this specific product, and then get back to me.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

and by the way, a DYI guy such as yourself should understand that you don't need the thermocouple to have hot water in your water heater. you're an idiot. crawl back in your hole.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

"pipedown" wrote in news:ksadnaC-Mbjv8IfVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

How bout a rabbit? Can you pull a rabbit out of your ass? That I'l like to see :-)

Reply to
Red Green

I worked as a CSR for a home warranty scam^H^H^H^Hcompany for a couple of years, and there was a "deal" between the company and Sears that for most appliance repair claims, Sears (aka "A1 Home Repair Services", dba "Sears Home Central") was to be advised to the homeowner (or claim-maker) as the "Preferred Contractor".

In turn, Sears marked their prices down pretty dramatically.

Now, from region to region and area to area, there were some competent Sears techs, but even a broken clock is right twice a day also.

The sad thing is that the "Dragging the appliance across the wooden floor, scratching it up, and then claiming the scratches were already there" act happened multiple times on claims I was dealing with in the year-and-nine-months I was stuck in the home warranty call center hell.

Oh, and the "Put the dishwasher back in place but forget to connect back to the drain pipe so dishwater goes EVERYWHERE" trick is pretty k3wl, also.

Reply to
Archie Leach

in my many dealings with 1-800-4-myhome with these various appliances, it's been a nightmare every step of the way. The CSRs either don't care or have their hands tied, and even when I've gotten passed to the next level of management, those folks are just about as useless. It's only when I wrote letters to the CEO of Sears that they started taking my issues seriously, and even then things could have gone smoother with a little more customer TLC from them. It's sad, because my parents and grandparents all thought Kenmore/Craftsman were the gold standard, but I've found the entire corporation is just a shell of it's former self. Sears will never see another dime of my money, and to be honest I'm going to pop open a beer and celebrate when they go out of business (which I think is a question of "when", not "if")

Reply to
Pauli G

I can, but I am much too modest to let anyone watch :(

BTW, if you wanna call that shit "rabbit" that's your business :)

Reply to
pipedown

Sears in their ULTIMATE GREED, gouge charge on travel..........

now certinally travel charges are necessary.......

but have your furnace with air serviced, they charge travel TWICE for the same tech to swap tool kits in his truck.

to me a furnace with air is one appliance..........

it would be ok, to charge more travel if 2 techs were needed. one for a furnace and a seperate one for say a rider mower.

sears dropped the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back........

gone when K MART took over.

recently sears sold the craftsman tool name and now licenses it.

within a few years sears will be out of business joing montgomery ward, wt grant, gimbels and so many others in the dustbowl of retail history..........

the craftsman tool name, kenmore appliances, and one other will live on bought by home depot.......

Reply to
hallerb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com expressed precisely :

And, Donald Trump will buy the tower in Chi-town, and the apocolypse will start.

Reply to
Dan S.

The reason they are slow is they are having to send entire gas assembly. t hose that said all you have to do is replace thermocouple have not tried it. This is a sealed assembly there is a 2 piece block that goes aroun d the thermocouple . Try putting that back together. This water heater i s very difficult to repair and extremely difficult for a plumber to c harge a reasonable amount for a repair.

Reply to
plumberman8644157478

Who made this series? Our Power miser 9, 50 Gal. is going on 13th year(knock on the wood) without a single problem.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

you just jinixed it, its now began leaking, the flood will occur next week

Reply to
bob haller