Sears Kenmore Electric Dryer Will Not Dry Clothes!!

We just purchased a Kenmore Elite dryer (90 series I believe). The dryer is nice, but takes forever to dry clothes. I have 240VAC across L1 and L2. I suspect the problem is a clogged vent as I went out to check the flow and didn't feel anything at the exhaust on the side of the house with high heat and timed dry. So, I'm going to fix that tomorrow and see what happens. However, I have a question about a reading I took at the incoming electrical terminal block. With the 3 prong power cord disconnected, my ohm readings on the dryer were 0 between L2 and N, 0 between L1 and L2, and 1.024Mohms between L1 and N. I thought the L1 to N would change to zero as I rotated the timer dial to off, but it did not. Can anyone explain why I have resistance between L1 and N?? Any other ideas as to why this thing won't dry clothes in a reasonable time? Thanks!

Reply to
BPO

We just purchased a Kenmore Elite dryer (90 series I believe). The dryer is nice, but takes forever to dry clothes. I have 240VAC across L1 and L2. I suspect the problem is a clogged vent as I went out to check the flow and didn't feel anything at the exhaust on the side of the house with high heat and timed dry. So, I'm going to fix that tomorrow and see what happens. However, I have a question about a reading I took at the incoming electrical terminal block. With the 3 prong power cord disconnected, my ohm readings on the dryer were infinity between L2 and N, infinity between L1 and L2, and 1.024Mohms between L1 and N. I thought the L1 to N would change to infinity as I rotated the timer dial to off, but it did not. Can anyone explain why I have resistance between L1 and N?? Any other ideas as to why this thing won't dry clothes in a reasonable time? Thanks!

Reply to
BPO

the clogged vent but you might check the vent hose inside the house for a kinked tubing. That is if you used the flexible tubing to vent it. Common to hook up the dryer and then put a kink in the tube when you push the dryer back into place. Only being a sales man and not a service man, I don't know why the resistance readings. Tom.

Reply to
Tom

Hi,

A copy from FAQ...

Q - Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load

A1- Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.

A2 - If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground. Check the exhaust temperature of the dryer. A meat or pocket thermometer can be used for this. It should cycle between

120 degrees and 170 degrees. Check that the drum seals are worn out.

No model# posted for the dryer, but your ohm reading is something in the dryer that you are reading the resitance for....thermostat heater, board, sensor, relay coil?? Trying to ohm the whole thing like that will probably give some strange readings with feed back through other objects.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

The heat is between the two hots. The motor (at least on my dryer) is between one hot and the neutral. There is nothing between the other hot and the neutral. I have never measured resistance on an appliance (nor do I know why you are doing so, when the problem is probably with your vent), but the wiring to the motor probably accounts for your difference.

Reply to
Toller

Problem solved! Clogged vent. Thanks to all!

Reply to
BPO

Thankx for the update!!

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Jeff, you gonna invoice her for the consultation?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LOL!!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid