Sears incompetence

Given that there is an issue with tile being around the footprint of the old hood and the space perhaps requiring a cabinet to be moved, the better approach to this whole job would have been to get an installer first. Someone with experience can ofter save a lot of headache. Like they would know if any hoods are on the low end of the nominal width. Or which ones might have footprints that would cover up the tile, go over it easily instead of cutting it, etc.

Reply to
trader4

In the end I opted to leave the tiles be and put the hood a tile thickness farther over. I ended up with the cabinet to the right shifted by 1/4" (less than the thickness of a tile because there was a little excess to start with).

I ended up taking down the upper cabinet as the right one wasn't going to come out otherwise. Then took down the right, removed a lip that was spacing it away from the right side wall, put it back in position on a temporary support, reattached the upper one (with lag bolts, not wimpy original screws, one of which missed the stud), worked out the electric, duct damper business, mounted the hood, mounted the right cabinet. Filled in the gap with patching plaster (I'll see how that goes; maybe do something else later. Probably a strip of wood painted to match.)

The electric issue was that the feed (armored flex) was on the left; new unit wanted it on the right and contains the blower on the left. I drew a chart representing the small range of movement for the flex line and found a suitable place on the hood where it could enter away from the fan, drilled and Greenlee punched it. Ran new internal wiring to get from left to right.

Yeah, a long job and no I wouldn't expect anyone to do that for $150.00. Never did.

Here is the end result:

From this angle you can only barely make out the edge of the tiles in question but they are the same as the ones directly behind the cooktop.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

the paper towels over the stove make me nervous and what's that grate on the vertical portion of the cabinetry under the stove?

Reply to
kenji

That's from the original long gone Western-Holly cooktop which presumably drew air from the counter space it was set into hence a seperately provided vent. The KitchenAid you see there (probably 15-20 years old itself) has ventilation into the box around the edge of the top.

Yeah, most definitely. Also Western-Holly circa 1957 or so. It has a nice commercial oven look to it. The double oven was not standard for the subdivision so the original owner must have specified it.

Reply to
Steve Kraus