Sears incompetence

Page 1 of 4

incompetence : the state or fact of being incompetent
incompetent 2 : inadequate to or unsuitable for a particular purpose 3 a : lacking the qualities needed for effective action b : unable to function properly
Facts only:
I purchased a range hood for my mom from sears.com (local store pickup). It was to replace a defective old unit (same nominal size, duct and wiring already there).
I phoned Sears to arrange installation. They said this would be accomplished by their preferred contractor, a company called (I think) Custom Appliance Installers. I believe they are out of Orland Park, IL.
The contractor called and my mom told them it's possible that the adjacent cabinet might have to get moved over an eighth of an inch or some tiles cut to clear the different side dimensions of the new unit. "We don't do that," she was told. Sears called back and left a message saying they were cancelling.
I called Sears. They said they'd get another vendor to do it.
Sears called back saying tough luck, we can't do it. Go find your own handyman they "helpfully" suggested.
Is it any wonder Sears is on the skids when they and their vendors are incompetent to the task of installing their own product at a place where a similar item was just removed? This can't be the only case where some small adjustments are required to get something in place.
Steve Kraus wrote:

Leave off the gratuitous dictionary explanation next time.

How do we know the adjustments are not major ones? Considering you need to look up the dictionary for common words, your expertise in estimating the severity of the adjustments needed can't be relied upon. Did they come to your house and measure the opening and suggest an appliance, which, as it later turned out, would not fit?
Sears, if it in in bad shape (which I thought was no longer the case), is there because of incompetence in its ownership.
They never came and looked at it before deciding it was beyond their ability.
Space is about 1/8" over the 36" nominal while the new hood is about 1/8" less than nominal but because some tiles were installed as a backsplash around the kitchen and the edge footprint of the new unit differs slightly from the prior one on the left side these would be trimmed a little for clearance. On the other hand those could be left alone and the cabinet to the right could be moved slightly (there's at least a good 1/2" it can go closer to a wall to the right.
I don't think I'm wrong in suggesting that these are probably things encountered all the time in this sort of work. I could sort of understand if they had some installers who could only do basic, simple, "wam bam sign here please, ma'am" installs and referred others to someone else. But to be completely unable to come up with a contractor to handle this and tell the customer to go find a handyman, yeah, that's why I am emphasizing the word incompetent.
And I'd be ashamed to go around using the name "Custom Appliance Installers" or whatever it is if I couldn't deal with an install of this non-magnitude.

is it possible they got the "asshole vibe" from you and decided to just walk away?
I'm not pointing fingers...just wondering.

A reasonable question but I never actually spoke to the contractor myself.

so yer senior citizen mom was there when they guys showed then left?
there's the prob.

No one ever came to look at it. They rejected the job sight unseen.

ohhhhhh.....
that's kinda fucked up
:> > so yer senior citizen mom was there when they guys showed then left? :> > :> > there's the prob. :> :> No one ever came to look at it. They rejected the job sight unseen. : ohhhhhh.....
: that's kinda fucked up
I wish he would post a .jpg anyway, I re-read his explanation twice about why there could be a 1/8" problem and still don't get it.
With the above post, he must of told the sales drone at Sears that there could be a problem installing it and they wrote it on the ticket, which is how/why the installer rejected the job. Like others said, should of kept your mouth shut. At least they would of came out and you could of did an eye-to-eye with them.
Like others have also said, those guys just get a flat rate from businesses like Sears so anything more than a unbolt and rebolt, they are going to flip a coin to take on the job or not. If he explained to sears anything like what he's been posting about the problem, no wonder they were scared off.
One thing I get the feeling about with all of this is that you are expecting perfection with the install and I really doubt that is going to happen. Tile cutting/replacing, cabinet moving, that is all beyond the scope of just replacing the hood. I did my own kitchen remodel a couple years ago, everything from the dishwasher to overhead microwave and can tell you first hand, nothing is going to be moved 1/8" in any direction without getting into a major overhaul.
Again since I can't picture the problem you think there is, if you are worried about having a gap with the new hood or exposed tile where none was before, deal with it, there is going to be a gap or exposed tile.
-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Not really, the client called up about a vent-hood replacement, and started jabbering about fixing the tile and moving the adjoining cabinets, and they decided: "Screw that. I've got easier jobs waiting."
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:26:07 GMT, Steve Kraus

If sears was hiring me to install a vent-hood, I'd probably balk at moving cabinets and doing tile-work, too. Especially the tile-work which involves a completely different set of skills and tools.
Would you rather they guy had shown up, and used a 5# sledge to make a hole big enough? Maybe take some tinsnips and trim the new vent hood?

No I would think that since the name of the sub contractor is Custom Appliance Installers (if I heard Sears correctly) they would have the skills to do what is necessary to install range hoods, cooktops, ranges, disposers, dishwashers, etc. which would mean skills including simple electric work, simple plumbing (like for hooking up a dishwasher or icemaker), simple gas piping, and some basic handyman & carpentry skills to get the job done. I don't think you'd want to hire a separate electrician, plumber, carpenter, and cabinetry person just to put in an under-counter dishwasher.
What is a "custom appliance installer" but a handyman specializing in this one area or at least they should be. They still need a combination of skills.

It may be that Sears won't pay them enough to do the extra work or they have some policy (as a Sears sub contractor) that does not allow them to price a job when on site. It can also be that some of these seemingly simple jobs turn into nightmares once underway. Who is liable if they put a mounting screw through a pipe or wire?

They have a contract with sears, just like the other guy said. The people who are doing the installs are probably the boobs, the newbies, the idiots because it's supposed to be the easiest stuff. You don't even want these guys moving the door from the right to left side of the fridge.

You made it a special case for them. They won't take special cases.

I'd love to find out on what basis they chose to call themselves "**CUSTOM** Appliance Installers."

I'm sure they may do it if you hired them directly, but they contract with Sears to install range hoods for a certain price, there is no room for custom work.
Eric wrote:

Given that there is an issue with tile being around the footprint of the old hood and the space perhaps requiring a cabinet to be moved, the better approach to this whole job would have been to get an installer first. Someone with experience can ofter save a lot of headache. Like they would know if any hoods are on the low end of the nominal width. Or which ones might have footprints that would cover up the tile, go over it easily instead of cutting it, etc.

Yes, these are the skills they have.

Nope. They do one job. Like I said already, Sears hires a company based on their price per unit. There's no extras built in to the price, and since they are probably less skilled, you shouldn't expect much.

Was there a dollar amount discussed for this installation? How much?

Sears took down my CC number and said the charge would be, I believe, $149- something. I would expect that would be a basic charge and would have increased for anything beyond beyond a simple bolt-it-up hookup. I would not have expected that price to hold.