Sears Garage Opener- problem model 139.53635SRT

Hello all- Opener- 139.53635SRT Sears 1/2 HP 1995
My 11 year garage opener doesn't seem to auto-reverse consistently anymore when it encounters an object. I discovered this as I watch the door close and hit my car bumper. I watched in horror as my garage door began to buckle but quickly hit the "button" to open the door. Needless to say my garage door now has a few kinks in it but amazingly looks fine from the outside. I looked at the adjustments and turned the one (with the arrow going down) to 2-3 - it was originally @ 7. I placed a 2x4 vertical and tested the units ability to auto-reverse. It worked but it appears it needs a lot of force to engage the auto-reverse feature. I used an old can for a test and it crushed it. Am I making the wrong adjustment? I've got kids and two cars and don't need accidents like this in my life right now.
I don't have a manual to review. I see Sears sells one for $4.95+ shipping but I thought I would see if this newsgroup could help.
Any suggestions?
BTW- I see Sears sells a limit switch for $17.95 would this help?
If your door doesnt have optical sensors looking for obstruction as well as auito reverse I would just replace the opener.
Openers are so cheap and much safer....
Incidently its near impossible to sell a home today with the older opener that lacks optical reverse.
better safe than sorry, optical reverse was mandated after little kids got killed by doors.
Its REALLY worth the bucks, and besides newer openers with rolling code technology are more secure too
Sorry forgot to mention that my opener does have optical sensors and they do work.
Brian

when we discovered the same problem, we got a brand new quieter belt driven model installed for $59. plus opener around $200. safer and quieter than old chain drive noise. replace it or car and kid damage warning.
Sorry forgot to mention that my opener does have optical sensors and they do work.
Brian

If the adjustment screws are directly under the terminals that the wall button & photo-cell wires are connected to you are adjusting the right ones. Turn the down down as low as it will go w/ the door open. In most cases the door will reverse very quickly or won't close at all.
If your top section hasn't been braced properly (metal strut across top of door, piece of angle on the vertical metal stile from the bottom of the strut to the hinge on the bottom of the top section) the door may not reverse properly before causing damage.
A better test is to use a full roll of paper towels as they usually won't damage the door if it doesn't reverse.
The opener is not expected to reverse if it is within 1" from the floor when it hits something, otherwise it would reverse off the floor.
The limit switch has nothing to do w/ the reverse mechanism. It simply tells the motor when to stop once the door is fully open or closed.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
I have Sears crafsman garage door opener 1/2 HP Model#139.53513 aroud 16 years old. Having the same problem. Door does not auto reverse. As per my posting about two weeks ago and response by ( snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net) I tried to decrease the down force by adjusting the screw slightly around (10 to 20 deg) the problem is door does not close..
I do not have photo cells or eyes installed on this garage door (I guess this 1989 model) and I just bought a townhome four moths ago..I requested to the seller to have photo eyes installed but my request was turned down because the garage door is working..
*in a ball park* how much it costs to install a new garage door..I called couple of places in the town and they told me $350 + I have to buy garage door opener from them which cost more than you buy it yourself at any home centers (I live in a suburb of chicago, Schaumburg)
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

qhen i go to www.homedepot.com
in their search i type in "garage opener" and it goes to:
http://www3.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?storeId001&pn=HDCOM/InstallationServices/GarageDoors/GarageDoorsLanding&BV_SessionID=@@@@2123627725.1136204960@@@@&BV_EngineIDccaddgjemiijecgelceffdfgidgng.0&retKey=Services%2fAt+Home+Services%2fGarage+Doors&retType=PROD_META&freeshiplse&domJsFile=finddom_ext_v4_7.js&styleSheet=hdstyle_ext_v4_10.css&hdJsFile=hd_ext_v4_55.js&locJsFile=locator_ext_v4_3.js
the schaumberg link is http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=NAVIGATION&CNTKEY=locator%2findex.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1508784084.1136205113@@@@&BV_EngineIDedaddgjemjlfjcgelceffdfgidgjm.0&MID76
the installation price on sale was $59 labor in summer 2005.
BuffaloBill thank you ..I sincerely appreciate your help.. buffalobill wrote:

http://www3.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?storeId001&pn=HDCOM/InstallationServices/GarageDoors/GarageDoorsLanding&BV_SessionID=@@@@2123627725.1136204960@@@@&BV_EngineIDccaddgjemiijecgelceffdfgidgng.0&retKey=Services%2fAt+Home+Services%2fGarage+Doors&retType=PROD_META&freeshiplse&domJsFile=finddom_ext_v4_7.js&styleSheet=hdstyle_ext_v4_10.css&hdJsFile=hd_ext_v4_55.js&locJsFile=locator_ext_v4_3.js
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=NAVIGATION&CNTKEY=locator%2findex.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1508784084.1136205113@@@@&BV_EngineIDedaddgjemjlfjcgelceffdfgidgjm.0&MID76
BuffaloBill, One more question..you mentioned belt drive garage door opener thing is our bedroom is right above the garage..would you be able to tell me which brand you bought..
Ahh while were at it!
Consider the chance the door is stiff, when was the last time these doors were lubed?
Another thing if the door springs might be out of adjustement, stretched after a lifetime of holding the door up AND if your door has those long stretched springs do they have safety cables?
Theres always the chance a spring might break and flail around hitting someone.

No the limit switch would not help. Turn the pressure switch to zero (the one you turned before) If you have 2 down prssure switchs which you should turn both to zero to see which is the down pressure and which one is the up pressure. If this does not seem to help see if you can order new pressure switchs. If not I suggest a Liftmaster Belt drive if you are planning to stay at your residence a while . Hope I helped! Anthony -Anthony's Door Systems snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
My garage Door 139.53635srt not working if I click my wall opener I just hear a click and the light blinks on opner 5 times. nothing happens any idea guys
On Sunday, January 1, 2006 7:05:25 PM UTC-6, Brian wrote:

On Sunday, January 1, 2006 5:05:25 PM UTC-8, Brian wrote:

1. Is your spring broken? 2. Could your spring have slipped? 3. What is the height of your door? 4. Are you able to count the number of turns that your spring is wound? 5. If you release the door by pulling the manual disconnect cord are you able to lift the door manually?