sears garage door opener not working right

this is a new door opener i just installed. and what is happening is i press the open button and it goes down about 1 foot then returns to the same place it started. i have tried it many times and different adjustment per the book but does not seem to help. i even disconnected the door itself from the track just to try and get it to travel the right distance but still no luck, i have notice that after it does move the foot there is a trouble light that flashes five time witch indicates a moter problem or a problem with something hitting. well since i disconnected the door from the track it should move right???? anyone have any hints????

Reply to
brian

I think the Sears model is a Liftmaster. The Liftmaster site says that it could be the rpm sensor (?) if it travels 6-8" then stops and backs up. Have you checked the wires going to and from the sensors to ensure there aren't any stripped wires or shorts? The sensors can be a pain in the butt, but if it's not these or the rpm sensor, then I'm no help. Hopefully, Sears carries the rpm sensor in stock.

I've just installed a Genie Excellerator and had some problems at first, but after checking the wires (I found some chaffed open wires) it now runs like a champ.

HTH

Reply to
R Hace

Their are couple of areas you could check. First check your electric eyes to see if they are aligned. Check your down force to see if it is set too light. Check to see if you have tightened the chain too much.

Rich

Rich

It sounds like the door many not be properly balanced. Disconnect the drive; that is put it in manual so you can lift it manually. Next open and close the door. Does it move easily and smoothly? Open it half way. It should stay half way open without any help from you. If not then you need to adjust the springs. Make sure you know what you are doing as adjusting the springs can be dangerous.

If the door does not move smoothly then you will need to find out what the hang up is.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan